[SOLVED] CPU throttling during benchmark (ultra/extreme) only ?!

Nov 7, 2018
SO Specs first :

PLEASE take the time to read all - ^^ and dont judge my grammar :p

This a new rig :

samsung 1080p moniter s24d330
msi mortar b360m
i5 8500
gtx 1060 aorus rev2.0
8gb ram ballistix sport (single stick)2400mhz
650w psu coolermaster

** all stock cooling. no aftermarket stuff.

Now the problem and details:

CPU throttlles from 3900 down to sometimes 1800 mhz only during firestrike ultra/extreme & timespy - --does not throttle during the normal firestrike 1080p test(only very slightly)compared to ultra/extreme & timespy there are no throttling in temps and mother board is not over heating TEMPS are:

CPU - stays generally constant hovering from 55-60
GPU - Hovers around 62-65 no throttling as well.

GPU USAGE and frequency stays constant in all benchmark presets and benchmarks including timspy/ firestrike/ulrtra/extreme/normal so i have no issues with gpu.

in gaming cpu throttles in some and not in other titles. again no strange temps or thermal throttling .

howeverrrrr- when its only when i enable vsync - when vsync is off cpu frequency stays constant no problems at all.. (mad max is the example here)

THINGS TO MENTION VIP:

1) I Have speedstep enabled and on balanced power mode HOWEVER when i enable high performance mode all cpu throttling goes away and constant frequencies are maintained around 3900mhz (turbo boost is enabled)with same temperatures as when it was balanced.

2)There is no difference in game/benchmark results and/or performance when the cpu throttle happens(staying on balanced power mode) or when it doesnt(byenabling hight performance mode in power settings) -- no difference in temps either maybe by a very minor margin if not .

3)cpu runs constant in cpu tests in all firestrike modes extreme/ultra normal it just fluctuates during the combined and during gpu tests.
5)there seems to be no issues when i benchmarked using aida64 running for 1hr and a half - reults came with no errors and temps stayed max at 87 degrees - cpu frequency stayed at 3900 the whole time.

5)tested also with cinebench - no problems here as well consatnt temps no cpu throttling temps or otherwise.

LASTLY i have a hunch its due to the tests running at higher resolution than my moniter supports that this throttling happens only duting the ultra/extreme modes for firestrike as well as timespy it being also at 1440p rez

SOOOOOOOOO my question is there anything amiss ? or is what im describing normal due to using speedstep ?

Solution

A GTX 1060 and i5 8500 is a good balanced combination, but if you bury the GPU under an insane workload the CPU will have nothing to do.
Nov 7, 2018

Thanks for the reply ^^ yes ive updated the bios -to the latest version and regarding the PSU - G650M

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Considering that your temps look fine, my guess is that during the heavier tests that you GPU is such a bottleneck that your CPU is waiting and speed-stepping down. Is it only happen during the graphics tests, but not the CPU or combined tests?

Nov 7, 2018

thanks for the reply :)
as i mentioned it happens during combined & gpu tests -only and onlllly on ultra/extreme modes not normal 1080p firestrike. - cpu tests like i mentioned runs constant no problems in all modes and benchmarks -

also can a 1060 gtx bottleneck an i5 8500? from what i gather thats a good combination.

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

A GTX 1060 and i5 8500 is a good balanced combination, but if you bury the GPU under an insane workload the CPU will have nothing to do.

Solution
Nov 7, 2018

so ur saying its because ultra/extreme takes up so much of the gpu the cpu throttles? and if yes is that normal ? what i mean is theres nothing wrong with my comp?

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

There isn't anything wrong with your computer. I just ran Firestrike and Firestrike Ultra on my machine and saw similar behavior. CPU frequency holds at max boost under Firestrike and fluctuates under Ultra.

Nov 7, 2018

Thank u casey ^^ !! good to hear "hi5"