[SOLVED] CPU throttling ?

Jun 2, 2021
Hi there.

I've noticed when playing Destiny 2 that I start to get extremely low framerates at random intervals and its starting to frustrate me, So I started checking task manager to see whats up and I've noticed that my CPU clock speed drops to around .5 ghz~. I have absolutely no clue why this is the case. I dont have any cooling issues as my laptop seems to stay at around 60-70c when gaming. Though a while back when going through my bios it gave me a warning saying that it couldnt detect the voltage of my ac adapter (even though it is a dell one that runs at 90 watts). I've tried using throttle stop with no luck, my graphics drivers are up to date. Im so confused as to what is causing the throttling.

The laptop model is an Inspiron 7706 2n1, its specs are

11th gen core i7-1165G7 with a base speed of 2.8ghz

NVIDIA Geforce MX350

16 gb of ram

Solution
Hey there,

Throttlestop is very useful for undervolting your CPU, reducing heat and fan noise, but it also has a nice built in benchmark tool. Open up TS Bench and Limits tab and a window of HWMon too. Run the lowest benchmark '96M size' and watch your CPU clocks as it goes through the test. Your clockspeeds should fluctuate, but under load should stay pretty high. You will be able to see straight away if the load is causing the throttling, you can then run it at the next size up, and if there is throttling you will see radio buttons with PL1/PL2 or EDP Other. If any of them flash red, then your CPU is throttling.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"my bios it gave me a warning saying that it couldnt detect the voltage of my ac adapter "

Look in Reliability History for errors (if any) being captured when the clock speed dropped.

Does the laptop have any problems when not gaming?

My thought is that there is a power problem - hopefully just the adapter.

Do you have access to another known working ac adapter to test?

I

Jun 2, 2021
This:

"my bios it gave me a warning saying that it couldnt detect the voltage of my ac adapter "

Look in Reliability History for errors (if any) being captured when the clock speed dropped.

Does the laptop have any problems when not gaming?

My thought is that there is a power problem - hopefully just the adapter.

Do you have access to another known working ac adapter to test?

I

My laptop works perfectly fine when not under load, I'll do some testing and look in reliability history when I get the chance

Hey there,

Throttlestop is very useful for undervolting your CPU, reducing heat and fan noise, but it also has a nice built in benchmark tool. Open up TS Bench and Limits tab and a window of HWMon too. Run the lowest benchmark '96M size' and watch your CPU clocks as it goes through the test. Your clockspeeds should fluctuate, but under load should stay pretty high. You will be able to see straight away if the load is causing the throttling, you can then run it at the next size up, and if there is throttling you will see radio buttons with PL1/PL2 or EDP Other. If any of them flash red, then your CPU is throttling.

Solution