[SOLVED] CPU to pair up with a 3080 ti for work + gaming?

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Hey there! My 3080 ti just arrived. I'm playing games on 1440p 144 hz and my i5 9400f is being smashed in a lot of games, reaching higher temps than the gpu most of the time. Some games I can't even play over medium settings (Kingdom come for example). I'm looking to buy a new board + cpu and was wondering what would a good enough CPU for it be. If a 5950x is the only viable thing I'll go for it, but if I can buy something cheaper for only a few fps difference I will do so. My options are to buy something up to 600/700$ total (that includes MOBO, ram + a new CPU) now, or save up for a few months and go for a 5950x + equivalent ram/mobo. What do you guys think I should do? Is a 5950x overkill? Thanks!

Other things I do other than gaming:
Software development including occasional game development
Messing with console emulators
Occasional video/3d modeling
Virtual machines for testing out my software on different operating systems (hence the 32 gb ram)

I don't know how much I would benefit from going for a top of the CPU, but I can say that going from i5 2500k to i5 9400f was a massive jump. Only issue I have with my current pc as far as work goes is that sometimes it stutters. I don't know why is that honestly...

Current PC specs:
i5 9400f
rtx 3080 ti
hyperx 2666 mhz 2x16gb ram
gigabyte h310m ds 2.0
1440p monitor

Solution
If the 5950x is worth the extra 400 euros I can save up for a few more months and go for that instead.
always worth if you know what that processor better suited for, since they use 2 ccds (both ryzen 9), faster ram is needed, to decrease inter CCD latency. ryzen 7 5800x itself is enough if the main objective is for gaming, but if cpu intensive tasks say heavy video editing, 3d modelling, etc., then 5950x is the ultimate processor in AM4 socket for the tasks, no need HEDT platform mobo.
Hey there! My 3080 ti just arrived. I'm playing games on 1440p 144 hz and my i5 9400f is being smashed in a lot of games, reaching higher temps than the gpu most of the time. Some games I can't even play over medium settings (Kingdom come for example). I'm looking to buy a new board + cpu and was wondering what would a good enough CPU for it be. If a 5950x is the only viable thing I'll go for it, but if I can buy something cheaper for only a few fps difference I will do so. My options are to buy something up to 600/700$ total (that includes MOBO, ram + a new CPU) now, or save up for a few months and go for a 5950x + equivalent ram/mobo. What do you guys think I should do? Is a 5950x overkill? Thanks!

Other things I do other than gaming:
Software development including occasional game development
Messing with console emulators
Occasional video/3d modeling
Virtual machines for testing out my software on different operating systems (hence the 32 gb ram)

I don't know how much I would benefit from going for a top of the CPU, but I can say that going from i5 2500k to i5 9400f was a massive jump. Only issue I have with my current pc as far as work goes is that sometimes it stutters. I don't know why is that honestly...

Current PC specs:
i5 9400f
rtx 3080 ti
hyperx 2666 mhz 2x16gb ram
gigabyte h310m ds 2.0
1440p monitor
5950X is totally not an overkill if you actually do kind of these stuffs together or do a very cpu intensive tasks. but the price wont meet your budget, here is better for that budget:
-AMD
-Intel

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
5950X is totally not an overkill if you actually do kind of these stuffs together or do a very cpu intensive tasks. but the price wont meet your budget, here is better for that budget:
-AMD
-Intel

If I go for that AMD build it costs 1000 euros exactly in my area, while the same one with a 5950x is 1400. If the 5950x is worth the extra 400 euros I can save up for a few more months and go for that instead.

If the 5950x is worth the extra 400 euros I can save up for a few more months and go for that instead.
always worth if you know what that processor better suited for, since they use 2 ccds (both ryzen 9), faster ram is needed, to decrease inter CCD latency. ryzen 7 5800x itself is enough if the main objective is for gaming, but if cpu intensive tasks say heavy video editing, 3d modelling, etc., then 5950x is the ultimate processor in AM4 socket for the tasks, no need HEDT platform mobo.

Solution

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Trident-288-Pin-Desktop-F4-3600C18D-32GTZN/dp/B07WTSMHSY is this ram good enough? It's the best I can find at local stores