[SOLVED] CPU Turbo Causes Freezing? i7-9700k

derwouldd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
I believe I am having an issue with my CPU, which seems to be intermitted.

Sometimes when I am gaming, my computer just freezes. FREEZES. Once, I would always hold power button and press it again to turn it off, and turn it back on quickly so I can get back into my game. One time, I had to pee really bad, so I didn't do it. I came back to a blue screen and let it go. The computer shut down. I tried checking event viewer, but there was no useful information; only telling me that the system has shut down incorrectly.

I bought and replaced the RAM in my system. This did not fix my issue. I bought new HDD and SSD. This did not fix my issue. I got fairly frustrated with it one day and started playing around in the BIOS. I changed the RAM settings to default, which was like 1333 or something. I just turned XMP off. It seemed to be stable this way. I played for a few days, but it happened again.

Currently, I am running with the Turbo on my CPU turned OFF, and RAM at the normal 3200. I have never had a crash like this.

Yesterday, I enabled the CPU turbo and it crashed just after an hour or so. Though, it never crashed until I was using Discord, playing with a buddy. When I play by myself and not talking on discord, I didn't crash. I always have it opened, though.

My system is not overheating, I know that much. When I installed the new SSD and HDD, I installed everything fresh. Nothing was moved over.

System details -
CPU: i7 9700k
MOBO: MSI Z370 A-PRO
RAM: G Skill Ripjaw V 3200
GPU: GeForce GTX 960 4GB
PSU: Corsair CX 750

Any ideas? If more information is required, let me know. I'd really like to use the PC as it's supposed to be, and no have any issues.

EDIT: When I put the build together on PCPartpicker, it told me, "Some Intel Z370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by the older BIOS version."

My BIOS is updated. It was the first thing I had to do after putting it together.

Last edited:

Henry577

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
How can you be sure it isn’t thermal? Have you been monitoring temps?

Make sure your drivers are up to date, just general advice when anything isn’t working how it should be.

My friend had an issue like this. Only seemed to happen playing fairly new AAA games. Task manager was reading his RAM as “DDR Other” and something wasn’t right in the BIOS (I forget, it was a year or so ago now). We never ended up looking too much into it as he was in the process of building a new pc anyway but I would suggest check your system is recognising your RAM properly even though you replaced it. Could be motherboard or CPU related.

Sorry I haven’t really provided any concrete solution but hope sharing my bit could help or maybe give somebody else a lightbulb moment.

I believe I am having an issue with my CPU, which seems to be intermitted.

Sometimes when I am gaming, my computer just freezes. FREEZES. Once, I would always hold power button and press it again to turn it off, and turn it back on quickly so I can get back into my game. One time, I had to pee really bad, so I didn't do it. I came back to a blue screen and let it go. The computer shut down. I tried checking event viewer, but there was no useful information; only telling me that the system has shut down incorrectly.

I bought and replaced the RAM in my system. This did not fix my issue. I bought new HDD and SSD. This did not fix my issue. I got fairly frustrated with it one day and started playing around in the BIOS. I changed the RAM settings to default, which was like 1333 or something. I just turned XMP off. It seemed to be stable this way. I played for a few days, but it happened again.

Currently, I am running with the Turbo on my CPU turned OFF, and RAM at the normal 3200. I have never had a crash like this.

Yesterday, I enabled the CPU turbo and it crashed just after an hour or so. Though, it never crashed until I was using Discord, playing with a buddy. When I play by myself and not talking on discord, I didn't crash. I always have it opened, though.

My system is not overheating, I know that much. When I installed the new SSD and HDD, I installed everything fresh. Nothing was moved over.

System details -
CPU: i7 9700k
MOBO: MSI Z370 A-PRO
RAM: G Skill Ripjaw V 3200
GPU: GeForce GTX 960 4GB
PSU: Corsair CX 750

Any ideas? If more information is required, let me know. I'd really like to use the PC as it's supposed to be, and no have any issues.

EDIT: When I put the build together on PCPartpicker, it told me, "Some Intel Z370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by the older BIOS version."

My BIOS is updated. It was the first thing I had to do after putting it together.

Go to start, go to search bar, type in eventviewer.exe hit the enter button, go windows log--> system log--> find the recent time at had last crashed, look for any red x errors.
Bring me that information back and do a dump file if it crashes again.

derwouldd

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
Go to start, go to search bar, type in eventviewer.exe hit the enter button, go windows log--> system log--> find the recent time at had last crashed, look for any red x errors.
Bring me that information back and do a dump file if it crashes again.

Critical 2/7/2021 10:08:53 AM Kernel-Power 41 (63)
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Error 2/7/2021 10:08:58 AM EventLog 6008 None
The previous system shutdown at 10:07:45 AM on ‎2/‎7/‎2021 was unexpected.