Nov 11, 2022
i built my PC in 2014,
i7, 4790k
corsair h100i v1
asus maximus vii impact (mini itx)
case corsair graphite 380t
psu seasonic X 750
ram kingston hyperx ddr3 16G (8x2)

around 2016, i notice that my cpu temp is reaching 90 C in idle, I try to fix it and found by unmount the h100i that used and remount it again, and still the same.
at that time i decided to [vulgarity redacted] let it die..

but, till now 2022, it still running fine, even with me playing AAA game and thousand hours of dota2.

since I am upgrading to rx6700, I plan to upgrade my cpu to i3 or i5 gen12,
but somehow, I feel like I can still miliking the 4790k by overclocking it, use it till it died then only upgrade everything else.

View: https://imgur.com/a/tjZlbgl

now, the question is
is my 4790k is faulty, should i change it or it still have chance to be fixed?

is my h100i v1 broken? (pump is running, fan is running, but the air that blow from the radiator is not hot)
should I just change the cooler?

thank you for reading and replying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In all honesty, the moment you noticed temps like that when on an AIO like the Corsair unit you, would indicate that the pump has failed or has encountered cavitation, either which way it would've been best to replace the cooler with a cheap air cooler or RMA the AIO if you had warranty on it. Given how you've been running that processor in that state for this long would either mean that the processor is probably on it's last leg.

Moving on, are you still working with the afflicted cooler?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? What OS are you working with and what are your ambient room air temps? Speaking of temps, have you inspected the radiator fins for signs of clogging up with dust or debris...?

Reactions: mustahWayne
Nov 11, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In all honesty, the moment you noticed temps like that when on an AIO like the Corsair unit you, would indicate that the pump has failed or has encountered cavitation, either which way it would've been best to replace the cooler with a cheap air cooler or RMA the AIO if you had warranty on it. Given how you've been running that processor in that state for this long would either mean that the processor is probably on it's last leg.

Moving on, are you still working with the afflicted cooler?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? What OS are you working with and what are your ambient room air temps? Speaking of temps, have you inspected the radiator fins for signs of clogging up with dust or debris...?
hi, thank you for the reply
and sorry for the vulgar word :)

bios version : american megatrends inc, 0217, 18-07-14
ambient air temps around 25C

hahhaa, on its last leg huh..
ok then, i ll upgrade my cpu, motherboard, and cooler all together..

thank you so much!

Lutfij

Titan
I didn't say the CPU's dead, it's probable that it might be. You might want to see if a replacement cooler might change the issue you're seeing. In fact, try breadboarding outside the case and see if the temps improve atop of your motherboard box.

Dear me...
You're on the first relase of BIOS for that motherboard. You should update your BIOS gradually until you've reached the latest version, please don't jump to the latest to avoid any mishaps.

Nov 11, 2022
Hah
I didn't say the CPU's dead, it's probable that it might be. You might want to see if a replacement cooler might change the issue you're seeing. In fact, try breadboarding outside the case and see if the temps improve atop of your motherboard box.

Dear me...
You're on the first relase of BIOS for that motherboard. You should update your BIOS gradually until you've reached the latest version, please don't jump to the latest to avoid any mishaps.
Hahaha.. I am scared of updating bios will mess up everything..

After many thought.. I ll just replace everything current gen setup.. It has been 8 year.. I think it is time to upgrade..

Thank you sir!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
but somehow, I feel like I can still miliking the 4790k by overclocking it, use it till it died then only upgrade everything else.
You'll most likely be waiting an extremely long time for that to happen, if the OC is done right. If it's done wrong, you can take that 50year+ expected lifetime and cut it down to seconds.

But here's the problem with the theory. IPC. That's instructions per clock cycle. Overclocking your cpu might get you 10% more performance, 10% more instructions, but the 13thgen cpus are starting out at 200% higher IPC than your 4790k. In comparison, that OC really doesn't mean much of anything.

Think about those 1000+ hours of Dota at 60Hz+. Is getting 66Hz+ suddenly going to change the game? Is 10% more performance actually going to do anything at all for that game to make it last longer?

OC is essentially a dying thing, it's entirely unnecessary in modern cpus, and older cpus can't match the benefits of an upgrade.