CPU Upgrade Compatibility Question

bravoranger

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I have had this computer for awhile, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103412 But I upgraded the graphics card to a nvidia 650ti and got a cx 500 m psu. I want to upgrade my CPU because in games like DayZ it seems to really be holding me back, I would prefer to either get an Intel Core i7-3770 or an Intel Core i5-4670K. Are either of these compatible with my motherboard, and if so which one would you recommend?

Solution

Without a major overhaul your only option is to turn down your video settings. You could upgrade your GPU but then you would actually start bottlenecking so you would also need to upgrade your CPU so at that point you might as well upgrade your OEM motherboard which would bring you to whole new system.

iamcacao

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
You have a socket LGA 1155 CPU, so the i5 4670k wouldn't be compatible with your motherboard. The i7 3770 or i5 4670 (no point in getting the K version because of your motherboard) would be compatible but I don't think it would benefit you very much. Your CPU isn't holding back your 650ti. An i5 or i7 would definitely help for rendering or other CPU bound work, but not for gaming with a 650ti.

bravoranger

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Then I guess my question changes to how do I stop games like planetside 2 and dayz from running so slowly. I know they are intensive games and have a lot of stuff to keep track of at once. What should I look into upgrading?

iamcacao

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Without a major overhaul your only option is to turn down your video settings. You could upgrade your GPU but then you would actually start bottlenecking so you would also need to upgrade your CPU so at that point you might as well upgrade your OEM motherboard which would bring you to whole new system.

Solution