CPU Upgrade for Dual Monitors

pyromaniac13_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2014
I'm looking to upgrade my computer to a dual monitor setup. I know my PC will support two monitors, I just want it to support them well. I definitely want to upgrade my CPU, but I'm having a hard time finding which one to pick. Also I don't know much about it. My price range is under $150 for the CPU. My intention is for gaming, but mostly for developing games (with CryEngine). I'm not entirely interested in overclocking or anything special, just a 2nd monitor and better CPU.

My Specs:
Windows 8.1 64bit OS
Mahobay Motherboard
Intel DualCore G645 2.90GHz
AMD Radeon R7240 2GB
4GB RAM
430W Power Supply
Insignia 20" HD LCD Display

Feel free to ask for more specs if you need.

I'm currently looking at the Intel i3 550, but I'm looking around for something better for my money. I'd prefer an Intel Dual CPU, but I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks, -Christian

Solution
The R7 240 is really not much of a gaming card at all. It is about even with the IGP of an A10 7850k. If you want to game, CPU and GPU, both, need upgraded. Yes that note is BS. :lol: I would recommend trying to get any of the i5 3xxx, non k, chips. A 3570k will work, but those are made to be overclocked. I would not recommend one, unless you got one for less than a locked i5.

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
To support 2 monitors "well" isn't too hard and you don't need nuclear-powered hardware. Your graphics card is just fine for it, but if you wanted something better, Go for something like the R7 260. Thats a good card for relatively cheap, under $130. You didn't say how much you wanted to spend on graphics. A CPU, you didn't give a model number for your motherboard, so all I can say from the CPU you've got now is it's an 1155 socket, which is Intel Sandy or Ivy Bridge compatible (some Ivy Bridges won't work), so I'd say you can do any Sandy Bridge i3 dual core. For $150, you can get the Core i3-32xx series processors (Ivy Bridge) and do well as they come under $140. Make sure your board can do Sandy and Ivy Bridge processors, or you'll be stuck with the more expensive and less-available Sandy Bridge 2xxx series i3's.

pyromaniac13_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2014
Oh wow yeah sorry, IdeaCentre. Don't know how I messed that up. But most of the reason I wanted a CPU upgrade was to handle what I'm running better. My CPU reaches 100% quite often. And when running CryEngine as well as whatever else is on my 2nd monitor, I want to make sure my CPU can keep up. My PSU is Thermaltake TR2 430w.

Also, in case you aren't aware CryEngine is a high powered game development engine, with extremely high rendering.

pyromaniac13_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2014

I wasn't entirely interested on upgrading my graphics card unless needed. But yeah it's a Sandy Bridge, sorry for leaving that out.

pyromaniac13_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2014

My card shows a minimum of 400w, and I've been running this for a year now. I'll stick with my card for now. And as far as that list goes, which should I get? I just need a slight upgrade from what I have.

logainofhades

Titan
The R7 240 is really not much of a gaming card at all. It is about even with the IGP of an A10 7850k. If you want to game, CPU and GPU, both, need upgraded. Yes that note is BS. :lol: I would recommend trying to get any of the i5 3xxx, non k, chips. A 3570k will work, but those are made to be overclocked. I would not recommend one, unless you got one for less than a locked i5.

Solution

pyromaniac13_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2014

I planned on upgrading my GPU at some point, just right now I can't afford both. But thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

It would definitely benefit from a processor upgrade. The fastest i3 your board could take would be a huge upgrade from the Pentium.

Also a RAM upgrade to 8GB would be worthwhile. If you could swing an extra $50 or so you could get an i5 quad core.