[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade for Gaming

Jun 26, 2020
My mobo supports 2nd and 3rd gen LG1155, currently running i52400, but it's my bottleneck. Best replacement for gaming? Thinking i73770? It benchmarks better, it seems, and other than maybe the k, looks like the best upgrade for the value.
I'm pretty much looking at end game upgrading for this rig, so I want to get the most out of it while I start looking at a new build.

Full specs are
Mobo: Asus P8H61-I R2.0
CPU: i5-2400
GPU: 660ti
RAM: 8g( I think dual channel, but single stick)
PSU: 500w

Solution
Get a second stick for dual channel

the I7 3770 is the best you can get for this motherboard, update the BIOS before swapping the CPUs

a better GPU could serve you as well, in case you plan to buy the new system in the next months, you could get a medium range RX580 or GTX1660 /TI
My mobo supports 2nd and 3rd gen LG1155, currently running i52400, but it's my bottleneck. Best replacement for gaming? Thinking i73770? It benchmarks better, it seems, and other than maybe the k, looks like the best upgrade for the value.
I'm pretty much looking at end game upgrading for this rig, so I want to get the most out of it while I start looking at a new build.

Full specs are
Mobo: Asus P8H61-I R2.0
CPU: i5-2400
GPU: 660ti
RAM: 8g( I think dual channel, but single stick)
PSU: 500w
yeah i7 3770K (with K) is max upgrade for your systems.

Jun 26, 2020
I wouldn't bother to upgrade it...just save the money towards a new build. All you will do with that setup is chase bottlenecks from cpu to memory to gpu. Simply not worth it at this point.

It is when a build is a year or more out and the only bottleneck holding me back from playing a couple games I have and want to play is the CPU. Honestly, I have enough games, so I don't need it to be beyond what I have, the new build is mostly just to be able to give this to my kid for what he plays and to allow me to play my favorites at better quality.
Otherwise I'd agree, especially if I wasn't so far out from being able to do the next build. But saving that $100 now won't really make enough of a difference a year or more from now. So, screw it, spend it, enjoy a little better performance and some games I've put on the sidelines because of the CPU, and build later.

Jun 26, 2020
Get a second stick for dual channel

the I7 3770 is the best you can get for this motherboard, update the BIOS before swapping the CPUs

a better GPU could serve you as well, in case you plan to buy the new system in the next months, you could get a medium range RX580 or GTX1660 /TI

I know I need a second stick, I was more referring to the Mobo, my bad, that was a bit confusing.
Thanks though, I thought that was the top of the socket but wanted to be sure. And thanks for reminding me to flash, I certainly would have forgotten, it's been a while since I upgraded a CPU.

I saw your build, how do you like that CPU? It was one I was considering for the next rig I do.

I saw your build, how do you like that CPU? It was one I was considering for the next rig I do.
I bought this rig while Ryzen 1 was released, Ryzen 2 was in the pipeline but not in stores yet and still had some issues with RAM compatibilities/settings. So I bought this 9600k because it was in my opinion the best for the bucket. I really don´t have much to say about it, it woks fine, is cool and has some OC potential which I didn´t set yet. It plays perfectly fine with my GPU. No problems at all.

Nowadays I would consider a Ryzen 3600 with a B450/B550 board @a good price. But still the 9600k has a good price performance ratio