Cpu upgrade help

mrdragonfruits

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
I'm currently running a gtx 1070 paired with a i5 4690k which is bottlenecking the gpu. I'm looking to upgrade my cpu and I don't know whether to just get an i7 4790k or have to buy a new motherboard and ram to get the i7 7700k.

Solution
Are you actually seeing the CPU hitting 100% in games? How about your GPU usage? What resolution are you playing at?

The 4790k isn't a worthwhile upgrade from the 4690k if you actually are being bottlenecked unless you can find one for insanely cheap. The Intel gen 7 is a depreciated platform and you wouldn't have any upgrade options on that socket. A 8th Gen i7 or i5 would get the most out of a 1070GTX. 8600k is fantastic. 7700k is a good choice if you can find one for a good price or a 'reduced to clear' prebuilt.

New CPU also means new motherboard and DDR4 RAM if you are moving up to current gen.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Depends on your budget and what you want to do.

4790k is still a fine CPU and with a solid OC can still hang with the newer stuff. But even so it's still pretty dated. But if you CAN go with something newer that would probably be better.

jr9

Estimable
Are you actually seeing the CPU hitting 100% in games? How about your GPU usage? What resolution are you playing at?

The 4790k isn't a worthwhile upgrade from the 4690k if you actually are being bottlenecked unless you can find one for insanely cheap. The Intel gen 7 is a depreciated platform and you wouldn't have any upgrade options on that socket. A 8th Gen i7 or i5 would get the most out of a 1070GTX. 8600k is fantastic. 7700k is a good choice if you can find one for a good price or a 'reduced to clear' prebuilt.

New CPU also means new motherboard and DDR4 RAM if you are moving up to current gen.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS