Question CPU Upgrade - i5 2400

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 24, 2023
Hi
I currently have an Intel DH61CR MOBO (AAG14064-207) with an i5 2400 CPU and wanted to upgrade it to the best possible i7 processor.
I originally read that I could upgrade to an i7 3770k but have now found information referencing the current CPU being Sandy Bridge with the i7 3770k being Ivy Bridge and am unsure if this is compatible.
I have also found on the Intel download centre website that the MOBO is now discontinued and support for it ceased in 2019 (so I cannot download updated drivers/BIOS etc.) BIOS is BEH6110H.86A.0120.2013 and was the last version released on 12/11/2013
Can somebody please tell me what the best CPU is that I can upgrade to?
If you need any more info let me know.
Thanks

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I think I'd go at least 2600K even at the prices of a couple years ago. My feeling is that if you're bothering to upgrade a machine more than a decade old, you at least want to get as close to maxing out the decade old hardware if you can. If just an incremental upgrade on older hardware, even if a better bargain than a significant upgrade, you may as well just save the money and not do anything. It's like trading in your 2012 Toyota Camry for a 2013 Toyota Camry of the same trim level; why bother? If you want to drop money into a very old platform REALLY upgrade it.
That's a very good train of thought! Yet he did say he could get a hold of a 3770K for free in which case there are no losses, only gains.

Reactions: artk2219

KyaraM

Admirable
Since my BIOS is the last version available before discontinuation, wouldn't I have to "downgrade" to get to one needed for the 3770k - in which case I'd be better with the 2600 or 2700 as I wouldn't have to mess with the BIOS....?
No. You don't need to downgrade unless something goes wrong. Once a CPU is supported, it is supported, end of story (with exceptions on AMDs side, but that's irrelevant here).

About it not working. I would try researing the CPU, and check if something got into the socked or pins are bent somewhere or something like that.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
If you're on an OEM pc (vs a custom built one) then you are probably having problems with power. Have you replaced the stock power supply, or is it original? If it's original, you may want to consider a power supply upgrade.

Any time I see an upgrade go wonky, I start to look at the power supply.
Either that, or you don't have a power cable properly seated or something. Or you forgot the 4 pin / 8 pin.

Last edited: