Question CPU Upgrade Made PC Black Screen, No MOBO LOGO!!

JaymeB

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015
I previously had a R5 1600 AF and bought a 5600x today (used) as well as a Hyper 212 Halo. My PC was working fine and there were zero issues whatsoever. I pick the CPU and cooler up, go back home, install them and the installation went smoothly. I do not remember what BIOS version was installed unfortunately but I know I'm dumb and should have updated it. I turn my PC on, fans spin up, RGB lights up, everything seems to be working but there is no image on the screen, no flashing and no motherboard logo even pops up, just blank. I read up online to try and find the solution and everyone says reinstall the old cpu and install new bios, so I reinstall the old cpu and the same thing, black screen, nothing happening. So now I can't seem to find a fix, I tried clearing CMOS, clearing CMOS and holding power button down for 30 seconds while CMOS is out, reseating RAM, trying different RAM and in different slots, reseating GPU and even removing the gpu and trying to run via motherboard HDMI and nothing works, even unplugging all peripherals did nothing. Also as a side note which might be important, I ran the PC with no cooler on the CPU and the CPU was actually heating up so I don't know, I read somewhere that if the CPU stays cool while running the PC then the motherboard was killed but I don't know, I'm no expert. Is this most likely a dead motherboard or am I overlooking something? Any help would be appreciated, any questions and I'll be sure to answer them. (All the "solutions" I tried listed above may not be all of then, just the ones I remember, apologize if you ask me to try something and I already tried but forgot to list it) Also I checked both CPUS and there was no dust or bent pins.

PC SPECS: GTX 1070 ASROCK B450M PRO4 RYZEN 5 5600X EVGA 600W XPG SPECTRIX 16GB RAM (can't remember the exact speed)

triplex1

Great
Jun 2, 2024
I previously had a R5 1600 AF and bought a 5600x today (used) as well as a Hyper 212 Halo. My PC was working fine and there were zero issues whatsoever. I pick the CPU and cooler up, go back home, install them and the installation went smoothly. I do not remember what BIOS version was installed unfortunately but I know I'm dumb and should have updated it. I turn my PC on, fans spin up, RGB lights up, everything seems to be working but there is no image on the screen, no flashing and no motherboard logo even pops up, just blank. I read up online to try and find the solution and everyone says reinstall the old cpu and install new bios, so I reinstall the old cpu and the same thing, black screen, nothing happening. So now I can't seem to find a fix, I tried clearing CMOS, clearing CMOS and holding power button down for 30 seconds while CMOS is out, reseating RAM, trying different RAM and in different slots, reseating GPU and even removing the gpu and trying to run via motherboard HDMI and nothing works, even unplugging all peripherals did nothing. Also as a side note which might be important, I ran the PC with no cooler on the CPU and the CPU was actually heating up so I don't know, I read somewhere that if the CPU stays cool while running the PC then the motherboard was killed but I don't know, I'm no expert. Is this most likely a dead motherboard or am I overlooking something? Any help would be appreciated, any questions and I'll be sure to answer them. (All the "solutions" I tried listed above may not be all of then, just the ones I remember, apologize if you ask me to try something and I already tried but forgot to list it) Also I checked both CPUS and there was no dust or bent pins.

PC SPECS: GTX 1070 ASROCK B450M PRO4 RYZEN 5 5600X EVGA 600W XPG SPECTRIX 16GB RAM (can't remember the exact speed)
put 1600 again and update the bios

triplex1

Great
Jun 2, 2024
Yea I guess that could be a good idea, don't you think the old CPU should work when I put it back in though? It's just weird that it doesn't. Never had an issue with it before.
if you made a mistake with the changes you made and with the currents of the computer then you definitely did some damage to your hardware