[SOLVED] CPU upgrade options for Asus Prime Z370-A

anshugiri

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hello,

So I am currently running an 8600K @ 5.0ghz (1.30v), I am looking for an upgrade path. I suppose the VRM is incapable of handling a 9900K, so I am left with 2 options.

1. 8700K
  2. 9700K

Which would you suggest? Also, is the motherboard VRM capable of handling these at say 1.35 vcore? I use a Noctua NH-U14s, and case airflow is excellent.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
8700k doesn't make much sense unless you are going to overclock. 9700k, with it's 8 PHYSICAL cores makes sense whether you overclock or not, but it makes MORE sense with at least a mild overclock.

Either way, the Noctua U14S should be sufficient for even a mild to moderate overclock on the 9700k. A bigger cooler might afford you a let less fan activity, but it should suffice. I have that same cooler and it is pretty capable. Probably the best single finstack cooler out there that doesn't have a double wide single finstack like some of the Thermalright coolers. Almost performs as well as the D15 on some reviews.

I'd go 9700k, which gives you two more cores, a small bump in clock speed and IPC and does not give you the notoriously...
8700k doesn't make much sense unless you are going to overclock. 9700k, with it's 8 PHYSICAL cores makes sense whether you overclock or not, but it makes MORE sense with at least a mild overclock.

Either way, the Noctua U14S should be sufficient for even a mild to moderate overclock on the 9700k. A bigger cooler might afford you a let less fan activity, but it should suffice. I have that same cooler and it is pretty capable. Probably the best single finstack cooler out there that doesn't have a double wide single finstack like some of the Thermalright coolers. Almost performs as well as the D15 on some reviews.

I'd go 9700k, which gives you two more cores, a small bump in clock speed and IPC and does not give you the notoriously vulnerable hyperthreads of the 9900k. If you don't care about the vulnerabilities (Spectre, Meltdown, variants) then you should be able to run the 9900k on that board no problem.

You will of course need to update the BIOS for proper CPU operation with any 9th gen CPU.

Solution

anshugiri

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I’ll probably go the 9700k route. You’re confident (reasonably) that the Asus Prime Z370-A vrm can handle overclocking the 9700k?

I'd go 9700k, which gives you two more cores, a small bump in clock speed and IPC and does not give you the notoriously vulnerable hyperthreads of the 9900k. If you don't care about the vulnerabilities (Spectre, Meltdown, variants) then you should be able to run the 9900k on that board no problem.

You will of course need to update the BIOS for proper CPU operation with any 9th gen CPU.

TRENDING THREADS