[SOLVED] CPU upgrade options on Asrock X370 Taichi ?

Fuad

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hello,

My pc specs are:

MB: Asrock X370 Taichi (Bios Ver P4.60)
Cpu: AMD ryzen 1700
Ram: 16 GB Gskill flareX
Storage: Boot (NVMe 1tb) with 4 HDDs for storage
Display card: Nvidia 2060 rtx super
Sound card: Creative sound blaster Z
Power supply: Gigabyte 750 (or 800)w

I use my pc primarily for 3d character animation, and some rendering - gaming when I have time, and since MB are very expensive in my place I would
like to make use of my x370 Asrock as much as possible.

1- If I updated the bios to the latest version 6.40 on Asrock website, then upgraded my cpu to ( 3900x -or- 5800x -or- 5900x), will I have any issues?
2- Is Asrock x370 taichi chipset supported in windows 11?
3- What cpu do you recommend ( 3900x -or- 5800x -or- 5900x)?
4- What is the correct method to update bios from Ver P4.60 to 6.40? should I reset the cmos first then update incrementaly with restart after each update
until I reach 6.40? or should I update directly from P4.60 to 6.40?

I appologize for this long post but I am alittle confused and your advice is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Solution
Hello,

My pc specs are:

I use my pc primarily for 3d character animation, and some rendering - gaming when I have time, and since MB are very expensive in my place I would

1- If I updated the bios to the latest version 6.40 on Asrock website, then upgraded my cpu to ( 3900x -or- 5800x -or- 5900x), will I have any issues?
3- What cpu do you recommend ( 3900x -or- 5800x -or-...
Hello,

My pc specs are:

3- What cpu do you recommend ( 3900x -or- 5800x -or- 5900x)?
4- What is the correct method to update bios from Ver P4.60 to 6.40? should I reset the cmos first then update incrementaly with restart after each update
until I reach 6.40? or should I update directly from P4.60 to 6.40?

I appologize for this long post but I am alittle confused and your advice is much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Please read carefully till end :D
1. It shouldn't

2. With the latest bios and 3000 series cpu, yes, after you update the latest bios to the latest and replace the cpu with 3000 series cpu, make sure to load optimized bios, disable csm, enable amd ftpm, then save and exit, then go back to bios, and find secure boot option, enable it, and install the keys (not update it), then apply/ok, and go back to bios to check if the secure boot is now on USER, enabled in standard mode, and the keys is insalled (the option will be only remove/uninstall keys if the keys is installed)

3. The max it could take is 3950x and 3900xt. *while actually the bios could contain 5000 series microcode, amd said no and there is no 4000 and 5000 series support for that chipset, only b450 and x470 that have the permisson XD

4. Update it to 4.60, then the latest, just download 2 bios, extract it and put it in the flash drive so you could install the bios into without going to windows to download it again

Also advice before changing cpu and updating bios:
  • Disconnect from internet in windows
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
unknown.png

• Shut down your pc, and update the bios step by step as mentioned in advice no 4
  • then after bios update to the latest, shut down your pc immidiately (just go to bios again after the latest bios update and power off your pc), replace the cpu, go to bios again and do advice no 2, and you're good to go to boot to windows
  • install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced, and you're good to connect pc to internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuad
Solution