[SOLVED] Cpu Upgrade or New Monitor?

GenObi

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
Rig Specs
  • I7-4770k
  • 16 gigs of DDR3 1600hz Ram
  • Rtx 2080 Ultra XC
  • Primary Display 2560×1440p VA panel 70hz.
What I Like to Upgrade:
  • I7-9700k
  • 16gigs of DDR4 3200hz Ram
OR
  • Aliewnware Ultrawide
  • LG 34 Ultra wide
  • Acer 34 Predator Ultrawide
I have enough money for one or the other and in all likely hood i would have to wait 1+ years before i can do another major component upgrade. Thoughts or suggestions? Cpu upgrade more important then a good monitor? Can my cpu still stick it out fir another year or 2? Which is the better Ultrawide? Will my wife kill me?

Solution
So upgrade cpu ram and all that you will be looking at more fps and some future proofing with a better monitor you could upgrade to a larger res and still get similar fps to what you curently have. If it were my money I’d go with a ryzen cpu over that Intel Trust me I’ve been pro intel for a long time but in this day and age it makes no sense, maybe in the future intel will take back the lead in the market but for now ryzen is the king

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
So upgrade cpu ram and all that you will be looking at more fps and some future proofing with a better monitor you could upgrade to a larger res and still get similar fps to what you curently have. If it were my money I’d go with a ryzen cpu over that Intel Trust me I’ve been pro intel for a long time but in this day and age it makes no sense, maybe in the future intel will take back the lead in the market but for now ryzen is the king

Solution

GenObi

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016

Wouldn't the monitor 3440 x 1440 offset the need for the cpu? my gpu will likely still be the bottleneck?

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Wouldn't the monitor 3440 x 1440 offset the need for the cpu? my gpu will likely still be the bottleneck?
Idk for sure but I have a 1070 and with an older Xeon on forza max settings 1080p I got 70-75fps

I upgraded to a 4K monitor and I maxed out the settings in 4K and got 60-65fps so considering you’re cpu is more powerful than my old ones atleast single core wise But you have a much better gpu my guess is even at 1440 your still gonna have a cpu bottleneck and would really only be getting more of a gpu bottle neck at 4K you might even still have a tiny bit of cpu bottle neck at 4K. One again though it depends on the games you play, a new cpu might be a better option