CPU Upgrade problems

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018
Hi. I tried asking a couple of things on an older thread from this morning but i have more questions.

I've upgraded my CPU from E2160 to E7600. My Motherboard supports it and it works fine. Well, not fine. Once it is installed, the fans in the whole system ( connected to the motherboard, which is the CPU + rear fan) speed up to their maximum and not stop. Also, the sound and the system itself is sped up by a couple of times. Some sounds are normal but others, such as Opera youtube or something, work sped up but the video is fine. Also, even the Windows loading is sped up and circles alot faster then usual. Temperatures are cool, 33c on the CPU so i don't think the temperatures are bad. Motherboard supports the CPU, although it is the strongest CPU i can get for the motherboard (MSI MS 7525 vers 1.0). And, the CPU doesn't want to boot up after a second restart. It loads up the first time right after hot swapping with the old E2160, but after restarting, it just freezes on Windows logo loading. Sometimes even popping a "Activating Repair system" with no response. No loading circle at all. What should i do?

DirectX is updated and new. (one user suggested installing that for the sound, but no fixes)
Temperatures are fine.
CPU pins are not bent and the CPU is supported by the motherboard.
Hotswapping to an E2160(old CPU) starts the system just fine, i'm using it right now.
CPU is recognized by the BIOS and the CPU-Z as a true and flawless E7600.

Fan speeds are not configurable by the end user(atleast not on my BIOS version) which i'm scared to flash since i found the perfect BIOS file for the motherboard and the newest one, but i don't know which flasher to use for my system. I'm scared that the fans might be on over-voltage and fry themselves. Should i install a new System in order for the CPU to optimize itself for the system? How should i do it? Should i use the E2160 for installation or should i use the E7600 and just go ahead?

Help out!

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018

Not really. My motherboard is an old OEM MSI MS 7525 1.0 motherboard. I couldn't find alot of info about it.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018

Okay, but are you re-applying thermal paste on the CPU each time and re-seating cooler?

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018

Apsolutely. Using an CoolerMaster V1.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018

I've mention a couple of times by now. It's an unknown version. It was never updated nor touched. The PC is bought long time ago so i guess it still has old updates. I also said, i have the latest update but not installed because i'm scared of screwing it up and bricking my motherboard because i don't know what Flasher to use.

A legitimate motherboard CPU support list will contain two important bits of information. One, the list of CPUs of course. The second is the bios version needed for each CPU to work. For instance, it might say "E2160 bios v1.0" meaning that CPU was supported since bios version 1.0.

So if you see this new CPU on a support list, make note of which bios version it needs. Then boot into your current bios version, using the E2160, to see which bios version you currently have. That will tell you if you need to update it or not.

If the support list you looked at contains no data on required bios versions per CPU, then I would not regard that as a reliable source. Which means this newer CPU might not work with that motherboard.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018

Looks like from multiple sources it says that it is definately compatible but probably needs a BIOS update.
So, can someone help me with that? I have the .bin file that is needed for the BIOS update. Newest one. What program should i use to flash it? That is the biggest problem that i have and i don't know all the steps so can someone guide me?

for that mobo, it's the awardflash utility. if you look at the link i posted you can download it from there!

Just do a google, or open the readme file for the utlitliy and it will tell you what to do.

Don't be too put off by the bios update. It seems daunting, but with a 15 minute read, and following the instructions, it actually very easy. Yes, if you skip an instruction it has the potential to brick the mobo. But it's straight forward enough.

here is a rough guide: https://www.delidded.com/how-to-update-cpu-microcode-in-award-or-phoenix-bios/

Read a little, watch a little, get familiar with your bios.

Basically you put the .bin file on the a USB. You restart the PC, go to bios and look for the award.flash utility and select the .bin file and the bios will update. It normally take a few moments, after which it will restart once complete. It's so long since I've done one like that, because now it's all UEFI bios and it's so much easier.

Just follow the instructions on screen.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018

Thanks! I'll be in touch with you in a few moments as this rolls out. By the way, the BIOS informations states the next:

BIOS VERSION: 5 . 0 4 LAST UPDATED 02/29/2008 ( I lost breath lol)

Looks like i definately need a BIOS update!

yes, you do. and it might make all the difference.

Just a point to consider. Some of those older bios's are best done incrementally. Rather than a massive leap from a very old version to the most up to date.

Maybe download a couple of in between bios and try those first (incrementally) to get to the newest one.

ddule.srb

Honorable
Apr 4, 2018

Could you check private messages, please? :/