[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade recommendation

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and I'd like to know what's the best bang for the buck solution right now.
Current setup:
CPU: i5-6600
Mobo: Asus Z170-K with 16GB of RAM.

Option 1:
Buy a 7700 as a direct replacement as this is the max that the chipset is able to support.

Optopn 2:
Upgrade the chipset and get something more powerful like the 8700.

I'd love some advise, thanks!

PS
OCing is out of the question so no K CPUs.

Last edited:
Solution
After your last reply I understood that I should bump the budget a bit more.

I was thinking something in the lines of i5 10600K with a B560 mobo though I'm not sure what the best bang for the buck is - my line of thought is that Gen10 are discontinued and so they are cheaper right now than Gen11 which is still being produced.
What do you think?
Also, any other suggestions than the B560 for the mobo?
A 10600K is a very good cpu and represents good value for money

tbh for most cases a 10400 is enough (it is a budget friendlier option)

if you go the K route i wouldn't take a b560 mobo as you cant overclock your cpu on it

Picking a "good" Z490 or 590 or B560 mobo depends on the features you would want

e.g. overclocking, usb c...
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and I'd like to know what's the best bang for the buck solution right now.
Current setup:
CPU: i5-6600
Mobo: Asus Z170-K with 16GB of RAM.

Option 1:
Buy a 7700 as a direct replacement as this is the max that the chipset is able to support.

Optopn 2:
Upgrade the chipset and get something more powerful like the 8700.

I'd love some advise, thanks!
Hi

What will the pc be used for?

What is your budget?

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Hi

What will the pc be used for?

What is your budget?

Thanks for the quick response.

The PC is used mainly for gaming, I ran into a CPU bottleneck with Insurgency: Sandstorm.
The game runs OKish however the CPU is at a constant 100% as long as the game is running.

The budget question is kind of hard to answer but I guess that upgrading to i7-8700 would be the maximum amount of money that I would be willing to spend considering that I would have to buy a new motherboard as well.

Thanks for the quick response.

The PC is used mainly for gaming, I ran into a CPU bottleneck with Insurgency: Sandstorm.
The game runs OKish however the CPU is at a constant 100% as long as the game is running.

The budget question is kind of hard to answer but I guess that upgrading to i7-8700 would be the maximum amount of money that I would be willing to spend considering that I would have to buy a new motherboard as well.
personally i would look into a i5 10400kf wit ha b460 mobo

Reactions: broshm

broshm

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
personally i would look into a i5 10400kf wit ha b460 mobo

I was thinking something in the lines of i5 10600K with a B560 mobo though I'm not sure what the best bang for the buck is - my line of thought is that Gen10 are discontinued and so they are cheaper right now than Gen11 which is still being produced.
What do you think?

What do you think?
A 10600K is a very good cpu and represents good value for money

tbh for most cases a 10400 is enough (it is a budget friendlier option)

if you go the K route i wouldn't take a b560 mobo as you cant overclock your cpu on it

Picking a "good" Z490 or 590 or B560 mobo depends on the features you would want

e.g. overclocking, usb c, multiple m.2 slots, good sound codec, multiple fan connectors etc

Last edited:
Solution