Question cpu upgrade to fit my 1070

rodrigo.barbacovi

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
what I have:

gpu - 1070
cpu - i5 4460

bottleneck happens because of my cpu so I want to upgrade spending as little as possible but i don't know which one I should get

I am thinking about i7 8700, ryzen 5 3600 or others?
Between those two I'm tending to buy the 3600 because of the price but what are your thoughts?

Another question, can I just go with the cheapest motherboard that fits the new cpu socket?

The R5 3600 is a very good choice. You will have to buy new DDR4 RAM though along with the motherboard. You should buy B450 chipset motherboard that allows BIOS flashback, since the bios might not support the new 3000 series CPU without a bios update.

Or, you could buy an i7-4770K or 4790K and spend less money. But, even those might be a little bit limiting in some new CPU intensive games.

Reactions: rodrigo.barbacovi

rodrigo.barbacovi

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
I've just bought:

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Prime B450M- GAMING/BR DDR4 Socket AM4 Chipset AMD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2666MHz

Thanks for the help =]

Now i will need to update BIOS? I didn't get that part

I've just bought:

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Prime B450M- GAMING/BR DDR4 Socket AM4 Chipset AMD

Now i will need to update BIOS? I didn't get that part

If you didn't understand that part, then why did you buy that motherboard? I told you to get a motherboard with BIOS flash back, and @TechyInAZ told you that the MSI B450 Tomahawk has BIOS flashback support. I don't think that Asus motherboard has BIOS flashback support.

BIOS flashback allows you to update the BIOS with just a USB flash drive. If the motherboard does not support BIOS flashback, then you will have to have a compatible CPU to administer the BIOS update.

See this link for a list of BIOS flashback supported motherboards - View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/