[SOLVED] CPU upgrade to my ASUS P9X79 DELUXE Motherboard?

caseybrunet

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Lately, a few of my games (even games I wouldn't expect to have issues with) have been having frame rate drops. I opened a hardware monitor and I can see that when playing borderlands 2 my dual gtx 1070s never go above 45% load, but my cpus spike to 95% each (intel it -4820k). I built this PC in 2013 and all i've changed is the GPUs so far.

so, my question is: Is it time to upgrade my cpus? If so, can I upgrade the cpu without upgrading my motherboard? What are some other suggestions for pc upgrades I may need?

Thanks

Solution
Your current CPU uses the "FCLGA2011" socket motherboard, so you need to look for any compatible CPU for this same socket, ELSE, you might be needing a full system overhaul. You need to change your motherboard, if you want to upgrade to any of the latest GEN INTEL CPUs.

What's the make and MODEL number of your Motherboard ? Check the CPU compatibility list on the manufacturer's website. Also, go through this link. The i7-6950X seems to be the flagship model.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005592/processors.html

LGA2011 socket compatibility
These processors are compatible with the LGA2011 socket. They are backward and forward compatible if the board manufacturer provided a BIOS/firmware update...
Your current CPU uses the "FCLGA2011" socket motherboard, so you need to look for any compatible CPU for this same socket, ELSE, you might be needing a full system overhaul. You need to change your motherboard, if you want to upgrade to any of the latest GEN INTEL CPUs.

What's the make and MODEL number of your Motherboard ? Check the CPU compatibility list on the manufacturer's website. Also, go through this link. The i7-6950X seems to be the flagship model.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005592/processors.html

LGA2011 socket compatibility
These processors are compatible with the LGA2011 socket. They are backward and forward compatible if the board manufacturer provided a BIOS/firmware update with the processor microcode updates. Check with your board manufacturer to see if your board is compatible with the processor you intend to use.

LGA2011-v3 socket compatibility
These processors are compatible with the LGA2011-v3 socket. They are backward and forward compatible if the board manufacturer provided a BIOS update / firmware update with the processor microcode updates. Check with your board manufacturer to see if your board is compatible with the processor you intend to use.

Last edited:
Solution
Is it time to upgrade my cpus?

Forgot to mention this before, but Kindly wait for few more months though. AMD is going to release the RYZEN 3000 series ZEN 2 CPUs, and these might offer a better price/performance ratio, if you have plans to upgrade your RIG.

Check the CPU benchmarks when ZEN 2 comes out. If you are happy with the performance, then you can upgrade your system.