[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade with AIO Cooler

ashinnblunts

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2013
I recently got a prebuilt machine with a Ryzen 3600 and a Kraken x53 AIO cooler and I have some quick questions about upgrading the CPU to a Ryzen 3700x.
  1. I know that AIOs usually come with pre-applied thermal paste. Will I need to clean it off with isopropyl alcohol and apply new thermal paste onto the CPU when re-mounting?
  2. Is there anything else I need to be aware of when unmounting and swapping out CPUs in regards to AIOs? I have only dealt with air coolers before.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Solution
Hi ashinnblunts.

1. Yes you will have to remove and re-apply thermal paste.
  2. The only thing you have to watch out for and this is for Air Cooler too it's the CPU when you remove the cooler. Some people will just pull on the cooler and the CPU comes with it. If you don't want that to happen just twist the AIO block after unscrewing it. You twist it very gently and you twist it back on the other side. So like that it will help so the CPU won't come out off the socket. Some people use dental floss to separate the cooler from the CPU. You can run a CPU stress test for a few minutes and it will be easier too to remove it since the paste will be warm.
Hi ashinnblunts.

1. Yes you will have to remove and re-apply thermal paste.
  2. The only thing you have to watch out for and this is for Air Cooler too it's the CPU when you remove the cooler. Some people will just pull on the cooler and the CPU comes with it. If you don't want that to happen just twist the AIO block after unscrewing it. You twist it very gently and you twist it back on the other side. So like that it will help so the CPU won't come out off the socket. Some people use dental floss to separate the cooler from the CPU. You can run a CPU stress test for a few minutes and it will be easier too to remove it since the paste will be warm.

Reactions: ashinnblunts
Solution