cpu upgrade ?

kcraik77

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
Hello,
I currently have an ibuypower premade pc with and amd fx4300 processor, msi mb 760gma-ps34 paired with and msi gtx 960 gpu. I am looking to upgrade the cpu . I have been looking into a amd 8350.will this new cpu work with the rest of the hardware?

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
It would be slightly better than what you have and yes it would work however i wouldn't recommend it as the 8350 is easily beaten by cheap and modern i3's and Pentiums are not that far behind in Gaming. You would be best off grabbing a new socket not upgrading a dead one if you can. I would suggest waiting a couple more weeks for Ryzen 5 to drop as it will add a lot more variety and competition to the market and should open plenty of good upgrade options. Hope this helps :)

@Black Dovahbear he did provide the Motherboard > https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/760GMA-P34-FX.html

Black Dovahbear

Reputable
Mar 11, 2017

Sorry, I'm blind, and I got the downs.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
It's on the compatibility list on the website CRO5513Y linked so yes it will, might require a firmware update though which you would need to do first with your old CPU still in place. For what it's worth the 8350 is 2 tiers higher than the 4300 on Toms hierarchy chart so it should be a reasonable upgrade.

Up to you to decide if it's worth doing, it is an old platform now and cheaper Ryzen's are coming.

kcraik77

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

kcraik77

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017

good idea i will look into that cpu. Im hoping to get the best out of what I currently have hardware wise.