[SOLVED] CPU Upgrade

Peynaple

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
Hello guys, new here.
I'm about to upgrade my CPU and I need help to see what are the compatible CPU for my motherboard.
unknown.png
unknown.png

If there's a list of compatible CPUs for my motherboard, kindly comment.
Thank you for your help!

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
That's a vague question that's hard to gauge since I don't know the model number of the motherboard. But, with some quick research, I have found this. At the bottom of the page is a graph with a performance comparison. The chart above it gives an upgradability chance, but that isn't a guarantee. Still, it looks like you can get the Core 2 Duo E8500 or E8600 if you upgrade the RAM to modules capable of 1333MHz. If you don't upgrade the RAM, you could [maybe] get the Pentium E6800.

Please note: This is a list of CPUs that fit in the same socket, and it is most likely the case that your motherboard doesn't support all of them.

Anyway, it looks like the biggest upgrade theoretically possible will only gain you an extra 28% performance. But again, I don't know the motherboard model number, so I can't find a CPU compatibility list that would let you know for sure.

One other thing to note: depending on your motherboard, you may be locked into that 1066MHz frequency (the speed the RAM will run at), so if you're just going to buy a CPU randomly without confirming compatibility, then you may want to stick to one that works on the 1066MHz frequency.

This would be a lot easier if I knew the model number.

Peynaple

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
That's a vague question that's hard to gauge since I don't know the model number of the motherboard. But, with some quick research, I have found this. At the bottom of the page is a graph with a performance comparison. The chart above it gives an upgradability chance, but that isn't a guarantee. Still, it looks like you can get the Core 2 Duo E8500 or E8600 if you upgrade the RAM to modules capable of 1333MHz. If you don't upgrade the RAM, you could [maybe] get the Pentium E6800.

Please note: This is a list of CPUs that fit in the same socket, and it is most likely the case that your motherboard doesn't support all of them.

Anyway, it looks like the biggest upgrade theoretically possible will only gain you an extra 28% performance. But again, I don't know the motherboard model number, so I can't find a CPU compatibility list that would let you know for sure.

One other thing to note: depending on your motherboard, you may be locked into that 1066MHz frequency (the speed the RAM will run at), so if you're just going to buy a CPU randomly without confirming compatibility, then you may want to stick to one that works on the 1066MHz frequency.

This would be a lot easier if I knew the model number.

Where can I see the model of the motherboard?

EDIT: There's a text on my motherboard that says "FSB 1333".

Last edited:

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Where can I see the model of the motherboard?

EDIT: There's a text on my motherboard that says "FSB 1333".
Well, that number refers to the fastest frequency at which the CPU and RAM are supposed to work at. So that's a good sign, and something like a Core 2 Duo E8500 or E6800 should be doable in theory.

The model number should be a combination of numbers and letters, possibly close to a sticker with a barcode or number on it. It may look something like "G41T - TM Rev: 1.0". It may not be that exact text, but it should look something close to it ("Rev:" is the revision number, and is usually beside or below the model number).

Peynaple

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
Well, that number refers to the fastest frequency at which the CPU and RAM are supposed to work at. So that's a good sign, and something like a Core 2 Duo E8500 or E6800 should be doable in theory.

The model number should be a combination of numbers and letters, possibly close to a sticker with a barcode or number on it. It may look something like "G41T - TM Rev: 1.0". It may not be that exact text, but it should look something close to it ("Rev:" is the revision number, and is usually beside or below the model number).

The motherboard model is "DreamSYS" chipset is "Q35 Rev. A2"
The whole system unit's model is "TriGem DreamSYS-TPPU".
Can I upgrade to quad core?
Some sites says that it can support quad cores when I search for "Q35" chipset.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Hey OP, I used to own a Core 2 system for 6 years tbmp it was a Core 2 Extreme QX9650 on an ASUS P45 Deluxe mobo.

As a result I am quite familiar with voltages and overclocking.

The ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM VCORE for 45nm Core 2 CPUs was 1.45V according to Intel spec. You have got your own running at 1.95V or so which is way, way too high.

Immediately set VCORE to 1.45V or less or you will kill your CPU.

The best upgrade for this motherboard would be a Q9550 or Q9650, however, you might need a BIOS update to run them. There's no way to know for sure unless you obtain a BIOS reader and look into your BIOS file yourself to see which CPU's are supported which is what I am advising you to do.

Peynaple

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
Hey OP, I used to own a Core 2 system for 6 years tbmp it was a Core 2 Extreme QX9650 on an ASUS P45 Deluxe mobo.

As a result I am quite familiar with voltages and overclocking.

The ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM VCORE for 45nm Core 2 CPUs was 1.45V according to Intel spec. You have got your own running at 1.95V or so which is way, way too high.

Immediately set VCORE to 1.45V or less or you will kill your CPU.

The best upgrade for this motherboard would be a Q9550 or Q9650, however, you might need a BIOS update to run them. There's no way to know for sure unless you obtain a BIOS reader and look into your BIOS file yourself to see which CPU's are supported which is what I am advising you to do.

Thank you for the advice!
My BIOS version is "TriGem Computer, Inc. 1.08(N) , 10/17/2008", SMBIOS Version "2.5".
In the menu, there's an option that says "Multi-processing" which makes you choose whether to use all of the cores or just one. With the core voltage, I have no idea that it's that high, do you have any advice on how to lower it?

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Your motherboard should have options in the BIOS that allows you to lower the VCORE voltage. If it doesn't have any VOLTAGE options then it means it's locked and you can't overclock.

I think your motherboard is malfunctioning or faulty. If you didn't set the voltage that high from the BIOS then your motherboard is supplying way too much voltage to your chip. which means that you have a faulty motherboard. It must be 11 years old at this point.

I don't recommend buying a new motherboard or Core 2 CPU at all, just buy a modern cpu/mobo/DDR-4 ram and sell your CPU on ebay. As for the motherboard just recycle it.

Peynaple

Prominent
Feb 23, 2019
Your motherboard should have options in the BIOS that allows you to lower the VCORE voltage. If it doesn't have any VOLTAGE options then it means it's locked and you can't overclock.

I think your motherboard is malfunctioning or faulty. If you didn't set the voltage that high from the BIOS then your motherboard is supplying way too much voltage to your chip. which means that you have a faulty motherboard. It must be 11 years old at this point.

I don't recommend buying a new motherboard or Core 2 CPU at all, just buy a modern cpu/mobo/DDR-4 ram and sell your CPU on ebay. As for the motherboard just recycle it.

Alright, thank you for the advice!
My system unit is indeed 11 years old, and it has no voltage control for CPUs. I saw an article that says, high voltage is fine as long as the cooling fan is good, is this true?
Right now, when the PC is idle, it has 35-37 C and when I play games like GTA V, it goes 40-45 C. <- that's for the core

Last edited:

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Achaios is right about the voltage: anything higher than 1.45 is prone to kill your CPU; 1.9 is nearly guaranteed dead as of 0.3 volts ago. However, it's working... furthermore, the temps are stable and fine. This leads me to believe that either the voltage measurement is wrong, or the core heat measurement is wrong. Probably the voltage measurement is faulty, since the CPU is still working.

Doing more research, it looks like the closest thing I could find to identify your motherboard for the sake of finding the CPU support list is that it's probably a TGI-DreamSys-TPPU. And from the extremely limited information available, the support list is basically non-existent... so are any safe BIOS upgrades; so you're basically at the point of looking for any socket 775 CPU you like and trying it in hopes that it works. And since it looks like the board is designed for pre-built makers like HP, Acer, etc. you probably won't be able to adjust voltage manually in the BIOS.

However, also in agreement with Achaios: with failing sensors, I think the best idea is to buy a new system instead of upgrading it. Even getting a used but well known socket 775 motherboard with the specs you want, and then adding a supported CPU is probably better than upgrading your current motherboard.