Question Cpu Upgrade?

owie

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
So I'm Currently running a Intel I7-4770k clocked@ 4.2GHZ on Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO. I have had for a few years i'm kicking around the idea of a possible upgrade, where do I go from here. most chips have about the same clock speed. I'm a Big time gamer just got a RTX 2080TI looking for a chip that might complement the video card. any ideas?

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
No, there is no better since you have the "k" model and you have good overclocking motherboard with 8+2 phases i would just oc the crap out of that thing and see if its enough for you. What cooler and psu you have? I havent overclocked lga1150 but if you have good cooling you should get that thing running 4.5ghz+

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cp5wPNUshw

there are loads of guides, just remember you need good power supply and cooling before you disable any of the throttling features or higher your voltage too much.

EDIT: if you dont mind slight degration looks like people can hit even 5ghz with that chip which would be nice boost from 4.2ghz, only if you have good psu / cooling though you can test these higher 1.275-1.375vcore voltages

Last edited:
What resolution are you gaming at with the 2080Ti? At 4K or similar there probably isn’t much to gain from a cpu upgrade. However at lower resolutions there could be more material gains. To see gains you will also need a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. With the new Ryzen 3000 launching in a few weeks it is best to wait for this before looking at options.

owie

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
What resolution are you gaming at with the 2080Ti? At 4K or similar there probably isn’t much to gain from a cpu upgrade. However at lower resolutions there could be more material gains. To see gains you will also need a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. With the new Ryzen 3000 launching in a few weeks it is best to wait for this before looking at options.
Coolhand
well I have been gaming at 2560*1440 with FPS@50/60 so not bad, but thanks for the advice.