[SOLVED] Cpu upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2022
I am currently having issues after upgrading my CPU.

Parts include:
Motherboard: Asus x570 TUF Gaming Plus Wifi
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x (Upgraded from Ryzen 5 2600)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 mhz
GPU: GTX 1070
PSU: 600w

Things to note:
  • I updated the BIOS before installing the Ryzen 7 5800x to version 4408 (latest as of today).
  • I reset the CMOS by taking the battery out of the motherboard for 5 minutes.
  • I am currently using the stock Ryzen cooler from the Ryzen 5 2600 on the Ryzen 7 5800x.
  • When I power on, I get a blank black screen, but all the fans will run. The RGB on my keyboard also do not turn on
  • I noticed when I take out one of the sticks of RAM, the RGB on the keyboard does turn on, but still a black screen.
  • The DRAM QLED indicator on the motherboard turns on when I have the Ryzen 7 5800x.
  • I have 0 issues when putting the Ryzen 5 2600 back into the system.
Is it possible that the RAM doesn't work with the Ryzen 7 5800x but it works with Ryzen 5 2600?
Is it possible that I would need to upgrade my PSU?
I wanted to ask these questions before going out and buying more upgrades.

Solution
It’s so strange that it works fine with the Ryzen 5 2600 and then no POST with the Ryzen 7 5800x. When I put the Ryzen 7 5800x in there is a DRAM QLED indicator on the motherboard. I went out and bought new ram to try that as well and no luck. I don’t see any bent pins, but maybe its bad?
Check it super close and make absolutely certain there are no bent or missing pins. The issue with the PSU really isn't that it's likely to be causing THIS problem, it's more so you don't damage any hardware or allow any other problems to develop due to that power supply and there will be at some point if there isn't already. I assure you. And even so, there is always the weird, outside chance of a PSU like this still actually BEING the...
Ok, whatever man. You're right, the power supply is a total POS that can't provide half its power rating yet somehow has that high a star rating. I realize Amazon reviews aren't a perfect measure, but if it was total junk and couldn't even power a basic system people would be downvoting it.
You can't possibly believe that. If you do, I don't have any words for you that will make a difference anyhow so .............whatever.

And more to the point, we are not trying to power a "basic system" here. This is a high end gaming machine with a GTX 1070 and a Ryzen 5800x. That is FAR from a basic system. Yes, that Apevia unit MIGHT work for a basic mom and pop internet browsing machine with no PCIe graphics card installed and a low TDP processor with basic related hardware, but that is not what we are talking about AND I would still not recommend ANY of their power supplies even for a system like that because they ARE that terrible. The fact you are not aware of this says you should really avoid making recommendations regarding power supplies until you are more knowledgeable in this area. Period. Even the least of our members knows this. Well, most of them, if they've been paying any attention anyhow.

But you can have your opinion regarding the idea that reviews on Amazon mean anything when it comes to, anything. That's your choice. It's not going to go uncommented on here though if you rely on it as your factual base for commentary.

Also, discussion regarding the quality of a power supply unit that was IN USE on the OP's system is not off topic or derailment, so you can just stop with the faux moderator comments too. Moderators will handle such things, not you, not ambassadors, not me.

If the OP would prefer to have you help them they can simply say so and I'll gladly go elsewhere. It's no skin off mine.

vertigo_2_20

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 13, 2009
You can't possibly believe that. If you do, I don't have any words for you that will make a difference anyhow so .............whatever.

And more to the point, we are not trying to power a "basic system" here. This is a high end gaming machine with a GTX 1070 and a Ryzen 5800x. That is FAR from a basic system. Yes, that Apevia unit MIGHT work for a basic mom and pop internet browsing machine with no PCIe graphics card installed and a low TDP processor with basic related hardware, but that is not what we are talking about AND I would still not recommend ANY of their power supplies even for a system like that because they ARE that terrible. The fact you are not aware of this says you should really avoid making recommendations regarding power supplies until you are more knowledgeable in this area. Period. Even the least of our members knows this. Well, most of them, if they've been paying any attention anyhow.

But you can have your opinion regarding the idea that reviews on Amazon mean anything when it comes to, anything. That's your choice. It's not going to go uncommented on here though if you rely on it as your factual base for commentary.

Also, discussion regarding the quality of a power supply unit that was IN USE on the OP's system is not off topic or derailment, so you can just stop with the faux moderator comments too. Moderators will handle such things, not you, not ambassadors, not me.

If the OP would prefer to have you help them they can simply say so and I'll gladly go elsewhere. It's no skin off mine.

That CPU and GPU combined use ~300W, and it's recommended to have an ~500W PSU with the 1070. OP has a 600W Gold PSU. If the PSU were so bad it couldn't handle what's probably an ~75% load max, it would surely be reflected in reviews. Furthermore, the CPU was the only change, and it only draws an extra 80W max. The fact it won't even POST, despite removing memory and other sources of power draw, pretty clearly suggests the PSU not being able to supply adequate power is unlikely to be the culprit. Yet instead of just saying "that's a crappy PSU and you should replace it" you convinced OP to spend the money to replace a component that realistically you (should have) had very little reason to suspect, which calls into question your knowledge. Also I never said Amazon reviews should be solely relied on to decide on a PSU; I merely pointed out that the PSU the OP already had doesn't appear to have any significant issues and therefore was unlikely the cause of their problem. Just like I never recommended this PSU; I simply recognized the fact it's what they already had and, again, nothing jumping out to suggest that it's such a heaping POS that it can't even run at 2/3 capacity long enough to see BIOS.

<<Removed by moderator>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 20, 2022
Good news friends. I went and exchanged the processor and it works. I guess it was a bad processor. I stared at it for a while and didn't see any broken pins. Thanks for everyones help. I hope you all have a happy holiday season.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Good news friends. I went and exchanged the processor and it works. I guess it was a bad processor. I stared at it for a while and didn't see any broken pins. Thanks for everyones help. I hope you all have a happy holiday season.

Yeah, kind of figured that was going to be the case. Have a good Christmas.

I'm really thinking it's just a bad CPU.

vertigo_2_20

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 13, 2009

Interesting. It happens, and it could have been defective silicon and not an issue with the connection itself. It's rare, though, and this may be the first time I've seen it first- or second-hand.

Reactions: Dc100
Ok, whatever man. You're right, the power supply is a total POS that can't provide half its power rating yet somehow has that high a star rating. I realize Amazon reviews aren't a perfect measure, but if it was total junk and couldn't even power a basic system people would be downvoting it. I've been using Amazon for years, and I'm aware many reviews are lazy/stupid, but, especially with PC hardware, there tend to be a lot of thorough, knowledgeable ones. Also, yeah, I clearly have no clue about power supplies, despite the fact I've worked in electronics, I've spent many hours researching about them and have been building my own PCs and helping others do so for decades, and I was correct that OP's power supply isn't an issue in their current build and is in fact perfectly suitable for such a lower-end build. Maybe if you stick around long enough, you'll learn that professional reviews aren't the end-all, and many products do well in professional reviews, where they simply look at specs, features, build, and initial performance, but do poorly in customer reviews, where they just don't work well in actual daily use. Both are important. And I never said I'd recommend that power supply, but OP already had it, and it was performing the job, and people on here seem to have a tendency to jump on the PSU as a culprit that must be replaced right now even when there's not necessarily anything wrong with it, just because it's a questionable brand. It's one thing to recommend getting a better quality one from a more reputable brand simply because it's a critical component, but that should be how it's stated, not "that's the problem because that brand is a POS."

To be fair, the kind of place where you get this sort of thing:

Question: Does this come with a power adapter included?

Answer: I don't know, I bought it for my son and he has it.

Is not really the kind of place where one should be looking to see credible reviews of power supplies. That said, the power supply isn't the issue in this case.

I think the message to the OP should really be while it's not the issue now, you should plan to replace it at some point fairly soon.

Where I disagree with you is when you say people here jump on a 'replace it now' bandwagon. If you know about electronics, you'll know that bad quality caps can fail at any time under any load. The advice here usually is don't leave that to chance, buy a quality unit and you have no worries about poor quality caps taking a dump on you.

Last edited:

vertigo_2_20

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 13, 2009
To be fair, the kind of place where you get this sort of thing:

Question: Does this come with a power adapter included?

Answer: I don't know, I bought it for my son and he has it.

Is not really the kind of place where one should be looking to see credible reviews of power supplies. That said, the power supply very likely isn't the issue in this case.

I think the message to the OP should really be while it's not the issue now, you should plan to replace it at some point fairly soon.

Where I disagree with you is when you say people here jump on a 'replace it now' bandwagon. If you know about electronics, you'll know that bad quality caps can fail at any time under any load. The advice here usually is don't leave that to chance, buy a quality unit and you have no worries about poor quality caps taking a dump on you.

And as I stated, my issue wasn't with recommending replacing just because it's a poor-quality PSU that may cause issues down the line, but by suggesting that it seems like that might be the problem because it's a POS and to replace it because it's very likely causing the problem, without even taking other troubleshooting steps to help eliminate that possibility first, like unplugging everything possible. And that's how it was laid out at first, only later, as a side note to the back-and-forth about it, was it stated the former way. And this isn't the only thread I've seen like that here in just the past day.

As for Amazon, yes, there are absolutely a lot of idiots, but generally that's going to lead to a more negative rating than positive one if the PSU is a true POS, because if it can't run at 60-70% capacity, people are going to be leaving DOA, etc reviews. Again, and I've said this many times, it was not intended as a "this PSU has good reviews on Amazon, it must be a really good PSU, you should buy it" but rather a "it's unlikely it's so bad as to be causing this issue with an additional 80W draw, especially if you remove RAM, unplug drives, etc, and still can't boot." It would have been much better if initially it was simply pointed out that the PSU isn't good, it may be the cause though unlikely, and to troubleshoot a bit rather than just go and spend money, though replacing it is recommended regardless. I was simply trying to suggest that it didn't seem likely and that replacing it for the stated problem was not only necessary, but not recommended, because true troubleshooting typically requires actual troubleshooting, not just buying new parts left and right until something works. And I only got into it with Dark after he decided to break the above-mentioned rule. I try to stick with facts and countering people's arguments, not people.

But yes, I always recommend buying quality parts, especially for critical components like the PSU and motherboard, and I also always recommend using a UPS, not just for power outages but for protection. And others should, too. Just not as a direct response to a problem where it's a) not likely the problem, and b) when there are other steps to be taken to troubleshoot it. While a new PSU in this case may have been warranted based on quality, we don't know OP's budget, and having them replace it under the impression it may fix the problem when that was questionable and when the real underlying reasons was that the PSU is poor quality is where I have a problem. But simply trying to point that out clearly offends some people. Oh well...at least OP's problem is fixed and now they have a better PSU, and hopefully they can still put gas in their car.

That said, I’ve not heard much about apevia. For a high end system, probably a good idea not to run the pc too long with one if their quality control is questionable.

Op, glad you got it going. I’m a tech and I think I’ve only seen 2-3 bad cpus. I’ve been doing this going on 15 years and have tinkered around on systems since I was a teenager. Not sure I’ve ever seen a new one bad out of the box. But at least you got it sorted. Enjoy your pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.