CPU usage 95%+ -and GPU around 30% ish in Dota 2?

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
i3 2120 + GTX 1050 - is it due to CPU hugely bottlenecking the GPU in Dota2?
other parts 8GB ram
MB Foxconn H61-m-s
Antec 500w PC

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

1080p med settings and im getting very low fps and drops to 25-40 wich isnt playable in teamfights elseway when on non action it runs around 60ish

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

max i've gotten was GPU on 63% , so this concludes that im getting huge bottleneck , what do you think should i wait for AMD new zen cpu release or just get a intel i5 or i3 6100

Because it just means the GPU works harder, not that the CPU works less.

With a 1050 you can get away with a relatively low spec CPU like an i3, but nobody can tell you what Zen will be like unless they have a crystal ball. All depends if you want to wait. Tech prices never really change, and we never get a bargain on things anyway.

Which is the classic definition of a bottleneck. If you can turn up the resolution and details without affecting frame rates, then the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.
If the CPU is the bottleneck, you might as well have all the eye candy that the GPU will deliver.

As Warp 9 says, CPU load to deliver 60fps is the same regardless of whether you're using a GTX 750 or 1080, and whether the game is on low settings or at max. Your CPU load will be exactly the same, unless you raise graphics sufficiently to lower framerates below what the CPU is capable of. Raising graphics is "free", but you'll get gain more frames than what the CPU can deliver.

That said, I'd expect more performance out of DOTA2 with that i3. I recommend keeping an eye on clockspeed while you're gaming to make sure it isn't throttling.

I think we are saying the same thing. 95% CPU utilization is not bad as long as the GPU is also at 95%. That would be a balanced system.

It really doesn't matter if either is underutilized so long as games run as well as you expect them to. A CPU at 50% utilization that's still delivering 150fps is perfectly fine in my book.

For whatever reason, I thought when you said, "if you crank up the settings, then the CPU doesn't have to work so hard to keep up with the GPU", you mean't that there would be less load on the CPU.

Not less load, simply that the GPU may be presenting the CPU with 300 FPS at low settings, and only 100 frames at high settings. At the high settings the CPU has less frames to deal with than at lower settings.

I think you are confusing resolution with high settings too maybe. AT a higher res more strain is transferred to GPU, but high settings put more strain on both, as a lot of settings like depth of field are CPU reliant and just stresses the CPU even more. In general, when you raise resolution or settings, it puts more strain on both the GPU and CPU, espcially as game developers utilise the CPU alongside the GPU more and more these days - so called CPU intensive games. The GPU doesnt do more at lower settings, suddenly making the CPU strain. It just effectively underclocks itself. The CPU doesnt go up because the GPU isnt rendering frames too quickly for the CPU, it just isnt working very hard. and vice versa the other way around. Just my understanding of it anyways :)

DonAlexi777

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Well i have i3-2120 and GTX 1050ti but haven't had any bottlenecks. Btw i checked If id have the samettinen problematiikkaa on dota 2 but i didn't So this is confusing. My cpu usage was never above 70 .

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

my cpu usage reaches 100% in dota 2 and GPU usage was max like 63% , why the heck am i getting bottleneck its so annoying

First of all dota2 is a CPU heavy game, not a GPU heavy game.

Second: what do you do while playing dota2?
Are you in TeamSpeak with your mates? Maybe Skype? Spotify running? A browser with 5 tabs on a secondary screen? A lot of utility programs doing various tasks you might not even be aware of?
Furthermore CPU load ain't a bad thing necessarily. What kind of FPS are you getting?

I agree with above statement, if your GPU could deliver 300fps, but your CPU can only deliver 150fps, while it's technically a bottleneck I'd hardly call it one on a 60Hz screen.

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

i am already playing on med settings and really getting lower then 60 fps , i am playing on 1080 resolution
in action heavy gameplay it drops below 35 sometimes wich is annoying to play

nddz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013

No i am not doing anything else while playing dota 2 , basically i tried all settings and barely a difference - my avg is around 60 but drops alot , in med settings and in action heavy teamfights i get around 30 wich is unplayable , as for GPU usage in game max i've seen has gotten 63% and CPU 100%.

Pkai92

Respectable
Oct 20, 2016
Hi there, please do note that Dota 2 is a cpu intensive game but you should get more fps i guess. Can you check your nvidia control panel settings ? Check your Cpu temps ( Run msi afterburner and monitor them ). Also, check if there are any processes in the background that could be using your cpu. Run a system virus/malware scan using malware bytes. Good luck.