Question CPU usage and temperatures

Mar 12, 2023
I'm completely new to this stuff, built my computer this past week and I have some questions regarding CPUs in general
I have a Ryzen 7700 and a Rx 6800
the CPU currently uses the stock cooler that I was planning on switching out in case the temperatures got too hot, but since I have a good airflow case (AP201), I didn't think it would be too big of an issue
The problem is, the CPU often goes into like 80C when playing games like Overwatch, a game that I didn't think was CPU heavy
And just now, when browsing google maps, just zooming in and out made the temperatures peak at 75C at 25% usage
It runs fine in things like cinebench where it never goes above 80C and hits a comparable score to the scores posted online
It idling rn at ~50C and often goes above that, which seems high to me

Could there be something wrong or is this standard for my hardware?
PC picture

Last edited:
Describe your case fan setup....number, location, intake or exhaust, brand, model, rpm they typically run at.

Kinda surprised you get temps of 80 gaming and no more than 80 on Cinebench. I wouldn't expect much out of stock coolers, but if you get only 80 on Cinebench.......

Do you like that case? I think it has a lot of ventilation and should have good airflow.

Mar 12, 2023
Describe your case fan setup....number, location, intake or exhaust, brand, model, rpm they typically run at.

Kinda surprised you get temps of 80 gaming and no more than 80 on Cinebench. I wouldn't expect much out of stock coolers, but if you get only 80 on Cinebench.......

Do you like that case? I think it has a lot of ventilation and should have good airflow.
I have four fans, two intakes underneath the GPU, one for exhaust and the stock AMD 7700 aircooler
The two at the bottom are 120mm corsair fans and the exhaust is a 120mm that came with the case

Really like the look of the case and I think it's good personally but I'm just not sure if the temperatures are weird or not, worried that there could be something wrong

Last edited:

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
put the bottom one as intake and top with back as exhaust because with your set up no fresh air come in also you dont have a front fan so you might start to look for another case with better air flow would be realy hard to game with this one without overheath of system .

Mar 12, 2023
put the bottom one as intake and top with back as exhaust because with your set up no fresh air come in also you dont have a front fan so you might start to look for another case with better air flow would be realy hard to game with this one without overheath of system .
The two on the bottom are intake, you really think the airflow in this case would be that bad?

I have four fans, two intakes underneath the GPU, one for exhaust and the stock AMD 7700 aircooler
The two at the bottom are 120mm corsair fans and the exhaust is a 120mm that came with the case

The exhaust is at the top, right?

That case has the power supply on the front side. Very unusual, with a cable connecting it to the case rear.

Is the PSU now mounted in such a way that its fan is taking in cool air from the exterior? Or is it taking in warm air from the interior?

I don't think that case has a front intake by design, but you might be able to rig one up....possibly by moving the power supply up or down. The power supply is mountable at 3 different elevations. Use the one that is most advantageous.

But 80 degrees on Cinebench would be tolerable as far as I know.

Mar 12, 2023
The exhaust is at the top, right?

That case has the power supply on the front side. Very unusual, with a cable connecting it to the case rear.

Is the PSU now mounted in such a way that its fan is taking in cool air from the exterior? Or is it taking in warm air from the interior?

I don't think that case has a front intake by design, but you might be able to rig one up....possibly by moving the power supply up or down. The power supply is mountable at 3 different elevations. Use the one that is most advantageous.
The PSU pulls cold air yeah

I tried mounting my PSU so that I could fit a fan in the front but didn't manage to do it, I opted to put one extra on the bottom instead that kinda pulls air around the GPU

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
try this remove the fan below gpu near the back one and use it on top to the bracket that is near front where psu is as exhaust see if below psu you could get a intake fan in if the temp does not lower enough you will need to check for another case .

JackrumMadthing

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Quick check, upper case fan is pushing air out &lower case fan pushing air in while the CPU fan is pushing on to CPU. There are arrow markers to tell you airflow direction.

80-95 centigrade under use with a stock cooler is normal. If you are going over 95 its time to get a little stressed out, and while CPU's can function at 100+ its really not a great idea as you are lowering the life there.

First rule of thumb is all stock coolers suck. Get a USD15 replacement as soon as humanly possible. The Coolermasters/Deepcool/Gamdias of the world are affordable and perform fantastically while being stupidly easy to install. I personally abhor the LCD madness of late, which a simple snip of a cable can disable.

The best way to tell if your current setup of cooling and case airflow is useless, is the idle temperatures. Load temperatures are not consistent as loads are not consistent, unless you are doing a benchmark test.

If your idle temperatures are over 40-50 on both CPU&GPU its time to think 3rd party sink and fan.

On this subject, people freak out about 100% or near 100% usage, this is not abnormal, its correct. Why would anybody only use one leg to run?

TLDR: Your temperatures are fine, but you should anyway get a 2nd case fan and a 3rd party heatsink+fan for CPU to help extend system life. Move your existing case fan output higher up, and swop one of those lower fans to the front of the PC pushing air in.
View: https://imgur.com/a/J9ME1cz

Last edited:
If it hasn't been said already (and I'm feeling too lazy to look through the posts)
  • AMD Ryzen processors report the hottest part of the CPU as the CPU temperature
  • Low overall % Utilization doesn't really mean much. It could mean all the cores are equally given some low load or one core given a lot of stuff to do. Given that Ryzen processors also have "preferred cores" to hint to Windows which cores to load up first, a lot of stuff is going to hit those preferred cores, which is going to boost hard, which is going to drive up the temperature of that one core... which is then reported as the CPU temperature
If your temperature monitoring tool only reports one CPU temperature, ditch it for something like HWiNFO which reports multiple CPU temperatures that provide a better overall picture of the system.