Question CPU usage constantly fluctuating from 40%-100% with fans spinning really fast

Aug 17, 2024
The issue occurred out of nowhere. I don't game on this pc anymore, neither do I use it heavy anymore. Just some light usage, mostly chrome or edge with a few tabs open. I've been using this PC, since past 8 years, and it barely gives me any problem. Here's a list of fixes I tried:

1. Tried malwarebytes and scan found nothing.
2. Tried windows defender full scan and found nothing.
3. Nuked it and reinstalled Windows 10 with all updates through an external USB.
4. Restored all defaults in power options.
5. Restored defaults in BIOS (dated 2016).
6. Cleaned dust out of the laptop and fan.

After all these attempts, my cpu still fluctuates from around 40%-100% constantly, with fan spinning very fast. This has rarely happened before. The tops I've seen it go before is 70%, and even then the fan spun slow. The base of the laptop is cold, so I think there's no temperature issue either. The CPU usage is at 1%-12% when it's idle.

As far as I've noticed, everytime I'm installing something, the cpu rushes to 100% or when I'm surfing the Internet, it'll randomly boost itself to 100% for a few minutes before going back to 4%-30% for a few minutes or seconds and the cycle continues. I've also noticed that the fans start spinning fast as soon as the CPU usage crosses over 40%, even though the temp is around 40°C.

PC Specs-
1. Brand: Toshiba
2. RAM: 6GB
3. GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5000 and Nvidia GeForce 930M
4. Processor: Intel Core i7-5500U 2.4GHz
5. Replaced HDD with SSD (256GB approx.)

Any or all help is greatly appreciated!