Question CPU Usage % drops cause system chugging, now I get a black screen after Windows login.

fiddyy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2016
Hi all,
My issues began 1 day ago, I turned on my pc and there was an insane amount of chugging upon startup, it was practically frozen. I restarted and had to wait a while before interacting with anything on my computer and then it began working like normal. Fast forward to today and after using my pc for a few hours I began noticing the chugging again. I noticed that my CPU usage % was dropping from around ~38% down to the 1-5% range, as well as my HDD writing at a constant 100%. I figured it was likely HDD failure since it's over a decade old so I unplugged it, and that seemed to fix the problem initially but then the chugging came back after only 30 or so minutes. Eventually it got to the point that my entire pc finally locked up and I was forced to manually shut down. After that I now get a black screen after Windows login. I can still boot to safe mode, I've run sfc /scannow and it says it did not find any integrity violations.
I'm at a loss, hoping it's not a bad cpu, any help is appreciated

SPECS
AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
Radeon 6700xt
16gb 4800 VRAM
ASRock B650M PRO RS WiFi
1 TB m.2 SSD (boot drive)
500 gb SSD

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Check cpu temp with Hwinfo64 or CoreTemp. I prefer CoreTemp for simplicity if only after temps, Hwinfo64 for anything else.

Run Malwarebytes and check all ram is accounted for, maybe reseat them anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts