CPU Usage hangs at 0% and computer goes unresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

myfishcantswim

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
My computer has been acting up for quite some time now. When I open my task manager my CPU Usage hangs at 0%, and computer goes completely unresponsive aside form being able to move my mouse. A beeping noise comes from my computer whenever that happens, sounds like it's coming from my Hard drive. I ran the Seatools HDD diagnostic, and it passed the SMART test but failed the Long and Short generic tests. I also ran Memtest86+ on my RAM, but after the diagnostic was finished no errors have popped up. I'm not sure what is wrong with my computer. Can anyone recommend me a diagnostics test that results with an error log that can be read and fixed? It has been frustrating me for weeks now.

EDIT: Current Specs:
HDD: Seagate 1TB Internal
GPU: MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OC 2GB GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
MOBO: ASUS Z97-A ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97-A
RAM: 8GB Ram DDR3 (not sure what model nor how to figure out)
PSU: 850W PSU (not sure what model nor how to figure out)

EDIT2: Here is the sound the HDD makes: https://youtu.be/PH2DIGXhAm4

OK, since this has been going on for awhile, lets see if we can fix it.

Open File Explorer, and go to C:\Windows\System32. In that folder, scroll down to CMD (might have .EXE on the end), right click it and select Create Shortcut. It will ask if you want the shortcut placed on the desktop, and select Yes.

Now go to the desktop, and run that cmd shortcut as an administrator. A MS-DOS type window (black with white text) will open, and in that window type sfc /scannow and press enter. Let this run its course. It will take awhile. What this does is to check every protected Windows file, and if it finds any that do not match what it thinks should be there, it will replace the file with a copy that it knows to be good.

For whatever reason, every time that I have run this, it says that it found problems that it could not correct when it has completed its run. Ignore it. If the problems you have been running into was caused by a Windows file being corrupted, this process should fix it.

When its done, you can close the cmd window. I would suggest restarting the computer, and then see if the lockups are gone or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.