CPU usage high even when idle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jb223

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I'm using Windows 7.

I ran resource monitor and opened a few tabs in Firefox and scrolled around and the CPU number went from 2 to 20+ and the little graph of CPU usage on the right hand side was hitting almost 100% at these times.

Is this normal?

Should I maybe try using Chrome or another browser and see if I get the same result?

Lots of people use firefox and don't have this problem, including me. You might look into updating your chipset drivers and/or lan driver and see if it makes a difference. Create a restore point first in case you need to roll back the changes.

jb223

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, I've been using Firefox for years and don't think I've ever had this problem.

Those drivers are up to date as I did them yesterday.

Thanks for the quick repsonse times by the way.

try booting in safe mode with networking and use firefox to see if its the same--just to rule out your antivirus or other software running in the background causing the 100% cpu usage--i used kaspersky before and opening certain programs made it shoot up to 100% for no reason

jb223

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I'll try booting in safe mode, but what do you mean by 'with networking'?

And no worries, Hawkeye.
Thanks for your help. :)

jb223

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Thanks, managed to get it to work but I realised something.

When I was looking at the resource monitor and seeing the CPU hitting 100% when opening new tabs in Firefox, I was looking at the blue bar which is Max Frequency.
CPU usage doesn't hit 100%.

It must be that the CPU is going from it's idle speeds to it's max speed every time I'm using the browser.

Is it necessary for the CPU to be at max when just browsing some websites?

jb223

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
It was the same in that it was jumping up everytime I opened up tabs or scrolled through a page.

It's not running at full speed since I re-enabled AMD CnC and set the fan control back to auto.

I've ordered the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ which should be here tomorrow.
Even if it doesn't fix the problem, I should have probably replaced the stock cooler ages ago as the noise can really get annoying.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I've got the Hyper212+ running with my PII X4 840. It's a great cooler, with either AMD or Intel.

I'm running it in a push-pull arrangement, with an extra push and pull fan within close proximity. Which works great when the room temp is down, but when it's hot, its just moving more hot air. I've played games with it that warm in here, and honestly the only thing keeping me from doing it more is my GTX 260, if temps reach 80 the driver crashes.

My CPU's have never given me issue over the heat, and I also run my fans @ 100% seeing as I have 6 case fans with no controller, the cpu fan(s) are not going to be noticed.

jb223

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I've installed the Hyper 212+ now and it's such an improvement.

I can actually hear myself think while using the computer now. :)

Temperatures are quite a bit cooler too so I've decided to give overclocking a go for the first time.
I'm at 3.6Ghz on my Phenom II 955 on 1.40V. Highest temps are 58C running Prime95.
Would you say that's acceptable?

temperature looks ok--dont forget prime 95 stresses the cpu far more than real world use so in actual use your temperature wont go that high anyway

glad to see you got there eventually and your ears can get a break now :D

jb223

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, makes for a nice change not to have to yell to talk to someone in the same room.

I was reading up on overclocking the 955 and I heard some people say they could get it to 3.8Ghz just on the stock voltage.
Would you say it's worth trying that out for cooler temps or just be happy with what I've got?

Also, is Northbridge Frequency important in overclocking or should I just be concentrating on the CPU multiplier?

Thanks again for all the help.
Most helpful forum I've probably been on. :)