[SOLVED] CPU usage is at 100% while gaming

HabosKacsa

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
So as the title says, my cpu usage is at 100% while playing games like Rainbow Six, Forza Horizon 4. I play in 1080p 60hz, i haven't noticed any fps drops, or spikes. When i Alt+Tab out of the game my cpu usage drops to around 40-60%. My fps is as expected, around 200 without drops. My cpu's temp is 90 degrees while playing, when not, its 35.

These are my specs.:
MB: Asrock z370M Pro4
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: i5 9600k

I tried the following steps to solve the problem, but these didnt work:
Windows clean start
Reinstalled Windows 10
Limited my fps to 60 (with and w/o V-sync)
Reinstalled the game
OCd my cpu to 4,5ghz (and DCd to 3.6)
Updated BIOS
Tried it in 1440p
Lowered the graphics

Any help bois?

Last edited:
Solution
You have multiple issues happening all at once, and while small, they all add up to a bigger headache.

1. Miserable cpu cooler. It's designed to keep an intel i5 inside working Intel specified working temps (that's anything under throttle temps) according to TDP. TDP is thermal design power, which for that cooler is @ 95w. The test to get that uses specific apps, which don't really challenge a cpu, and does not use turbo or hyperthreading or any boost. You do. So gaming with cpu at 100% is going to see @ 95w, which will max out the cooler capacity, resulting in temps barely under shutdown range.
  2. Stock fans. Most cases only come with 1-2 fans, or 3x if they are rgb and fit in front. This makes for pretty lousy airflow, so the...

HabosKacsa

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
the temperature it has. Soon it will burn itself down, or at least it will die
and i dont want that to happen

And i think that running rainbow six for an i5 like this, shouldnt be a problem

Did I miss something in your post? What is your CPU cooler?

I have an i5-9600k, just played a couple of hours of BF5 on ultra at 1080p, getting 100+ fps with my RTX 2060S and my CPU temp never got higher than 56.

Oh and my CPU gets to 100% as well, which, as far as I know, isn't a problem.

Last edited:

HabosKacsa

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
but dont u guys have any ideas to solve the problem itself? But thanks, i aprreciate you.
btw my cpu cooler isnt that good, maybe i should give a new one a try.

You're being a bit vague. If your problem is the CPU temp, then kerberos listed a few good CPU coolers. My cooler is a Corsair AIO h60 and works great.

For the temps you're seeing, it's likely you either need a new CPU cooler or you need to take the one you have off and reapply thermal compound and put it back on properly. You should not be seeing 90 while gaming and 35 is a bit high for an idle temp. My idle temp is 20-25.

HabosKacsa

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019
You're being a bit vague. If your problem is the CPU temp, then kerberos listed a few good CPU coolers. My cooler is a Corsair AIO h60 and works great.

For the temps you're seeing, it's likely you either need a new CPU cooler or you need to take the one you have off and reapply thermal compound and put it back on properly. You should not be seeing 90 while gaming and 35 is a bit high for an idle temp. My idle temp is 20-25.

i actually did that yesterday, didnt help, made my temp a lil less

So as the title says, my cpu usage is at 100% while playing games like Rainbow Six, Forza Horizon 4. I play in 1080p 60hz, i haven't noticed any fps drops, or spikes. When i Alt+Tab out of the game my cpu usage drops to around 40-60%. My fps is as expected, around 200 without drops. My cpu's temp is 90 degrees while playing, when not, its 35.

These are my specs.:
MB: Asrock z370M Pro4
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: i5 9600k

Any help bois?

No real info on current (seemingly inadequate) cooling solution....or mention of the case or airflow/lack thereof?)

Running overclocked...at some unknown core voltage, possibly even one of the BIOS/mainboard options selecting a typical 'Factory OC Stage I/!!/III' sort of BIOS option?) (Most of these apply too much voltage in an attempt to work with most CPUs, leading to more heat)

well that thing is rated for 95watts
at max speed its capable 60C with 150W load, guess your GPU/case airflow is heating it a little bit more
anyway new cooler ull get (which u posted before) wont suffer that much from gpu/case airflow heat, while keeping low noise

HabosKacsa

Prominent
Dec 7, 2019

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have multiple issues happening all at once, and while small, they all add up to a bigger headache.

1. Miserable cpu cooler. It's designed to keep an intel i5 inside working Intel specified working temps (that's anything under throttle temps) according to TDP. TDP is thermal design power, which for that cooler is @ 95w. The test to get that uses specific apps, which don't really challenge a cpu, and does not use turbo or hyperthreading or any boost. You do. So gaming with cpu at 100% is going to see @ 95w, which will max out the cooler capacity, resulting in temps barely under shutdown range.
  2. Stock fans. Most cases only come with 1-2 fans, or 3x if they are rgb and fit in front. This makes for pretty lousy airflow, so the heat remains inside the case, making it much harder to cool the cpu/gpu. So all temps go up.
  3. Cpu sets maximum fps. It pre-renders every frame before sending it to the gpu. With your resolution at 1080p, and your gpu, pretty much you'll always get excellent fps and changing detail levels (which is all gpu) won't do much of anything at all for cpu usage or fps.
  4. I5. It's a quad and you are running games that use 4 threads or more, so the cpu is going to see high or maxed cpu usage from the start. This can and will put a lowered limit on fps as the cpu cannot pre-render as many frames as a cpu with more available threads and similar ability.

Fixes cost, depending on severity. You need a better cooler for start. One with at least 1.5x TDP of your cpu. The hyper212 is 140w, so is plenty, IF it will fit inside your case. At 160mm tall, it may not. You'll need to find cpu cooler clearance for your case. Fans and curves can be changed around for better airflow, add a fan or two if needed. No need to max fan slots. But you will need decent intake/exhaust to get good airflow and allow the cpu/gpu to breathe. Nothing you can do about the cpu or games you play unless you change them, so usage will remain. Detail settings will be up to you, they won't affect the pc much, if any at all.

Solution