CPU usage is higher than GPU while playing fortnite

Mar 26, 2018
Ive been trying to stream fortnite and i found out that my laptop could stream it if i play on 720 p instead of 1080 (I sacrificed game quality to stream) , after that i couldnt play n stream for like a few weeks because i was busy but now that i came back MY GAMEPLAY IS VERRY LAGGY WHEN I START STREAMING ON OBS. The stream is good so it definitely not internet but its affecting gameplay realy bad. Obs is only using 20 percent cpu or more if streaming anyway. Then i tried to figure things out and i found out that when im playinv, FORTNITE CPU USAGE IS HIGHER THAN GPU USAGE. Thats why i cant stream the game anymore because my obs is using some of the cpu and fortnite is using most of it. Idk if this is whats hapenning before but my game is definitely so much lag right now. Please help me. It would be much apreciated because i like streaming and just starting out. Thanks. I think i could fix this if fortnite would use GPU more than CPU but i dont know how.

Mar 26, 2018

Thanks for replying that quick.......
Even if im not streaming, fortnite is using 60+ percent CPU and 30-40 percent GPU.
My laptop specs are
Asus rog GL502VT
CPU: Intel core I7 6700HQ
Gpu: Nvidia geforce 970m
Ram. 12 gb

Mar 26, 2018

So any tips thats gonna help?? Coz my gameplay wasnt lagging before. . And could it be the obs settings? Im using software encode? Does that do something?

carltonje

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
you wont change gpu usage at 720p with that vid card at all. remember you are using little of the gpu as to what designed to do. fortnight requires a little power to run but with 720p you are not using enough resources vid wise to stress the video at all

Mar 26, 2018

So can you recomend a settings to stream fortnite at. Without making CPU 100 Percent while live coz its mking it lag real bad. And gpu is not used much. What should i put my fortnite and obs settings at? Can someone please help me ..