[SOLVED] cpu usage is too high when playing games

Jul 2, 2020
Hello
i'm playing shadow of the tomb raider on this setup
i3 8100 - gtx 1650 - 8gb ram 2400mhz,
the cpu usage is 95-100% all the time and the gpu isn't reaching higher than 95% it's between 85-95% all the time
what could be causing this problem? i'm sure the cpu could easily handle the gpu,
because i've watch every single video testing on the same cpu (i3 8100) and it's not using more than 70-80% with the game, even with a card like gtx 1050ti the game is running better than my pc.
take this video as an example (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJChIfAYDM
) the cpu is very comfortable and the game is getting more fps than my pc (i'm getting 35-37 on high)
i'm playing on 1920*1080 and when i change the setting between high and low, the difference in the FPS can't reach more than 5-7 frames and this is weird.
i tried other game (saints row iv), and the gpu is not reaching more than 97%
could you please help me fix this?

Solution
You are looking at it backwards. Usage is misleading. It's not how much of the cpu ability is being used, it's how much resources the cpu uses to complete 1 frame.

Think of it like this. You need to put a bunch of nails into drywall as fast as you possibly can. That's fps. You have the power in your arm to swing a giant hammer and stick 10 nails in in 1 minute. Or, use a much smaller hammer and put the same 10 nails in the same minute. That's usage. The cpu doesn't need to use the giant hammer to get the job done, only needs use a small hammer.

It's when you are not using drywall but concrete and using the biggest hammer possible, 100% usage, and not getting 10 nails that you have an issue. The cpu is now waiting on available...

gdds_01

Reputable
May 5, 2020
it's 1x8gb
but could this single channel thing makes this huge difference?
I'm pretty sure that your gaming performance would do even better with RAM running on dual channel mode. As it would double the data traces in the memory bus, the GPU wouldn't be underused and it would probably make the framerate higher and the frametime more consistent.

I recommend this article from GamersNexus. It explains the differences between dual-channel and single-channel very well.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel?showall=1#:~:text=In the case of dual,turn doubles maximum theoretical bandwidth.

Your memory size and config is holding you back...try to pick up a 2 x 8 kit of 3200mhz memory.

Also if you're not using an SSD then that will also be a big reason for the difference. With such a low amount of system memory your games are likely hitting your hard drives page file all the time causing significant slow downs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are looking at it backwards. Usage is misleading. It's not how much of the cpu ability is being used, it's how much resources the cpu uses to complete 1 frame.

Think of it like this. You need to put a bunch of nails into drywall as fast as you possibly can. That's fps. You have the power in your arm to swing a giant hammer and stick 10 nails in in 1 minute. Or, use a much smaller hammer and put the same 10 nails in the same minute. That's usage. The cpu doesn't need to use the giant hammer to get the job done, only needs use a small hammer.

It's when you are not using drywall but concrete and using the biggest hammer possible, 100% usage, and not getting 10 nails that you have an issue. The cpu is now waiting on available resources, like bandwidth or Lcache etc, so nails/fps goes down.

Lower usage increases possibility of room for changing conditions. So if you were at 50% usage and cpu had to decode a massive explosion that drove usage to 90%, you'd not loose potential fps sent to the gpu. If you are at 80% usage, same explosion would put you at 120%, fps will tank as it's caught at 100%.

Usage is not ability.

Solution
Hello
i'm playing shadow of the tomb raider on this setup
i3 8100 - gtx 1650 - 8gb ram 2400mhz,
the cpu usage is 95-100% all the time and the gpu isn't reaching higher than 95% it's between 85-95% all the time
what could be causing this problem? i'm sure the cpu could easily handle the gpu,
because i've watch every single video testing on the same cpu (i3 8100) and it's not using more than 70-80% with the game, even with a card like gtx 1050ti the game is running better than my pc.
take this video as an example (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJChIfAYDM
) the cpu is very comfortable and the game is getting more fps than my pc (i'm getting 35-37 on high)
i'm playing on 1920*1080 and when i change the setting between high and low, the difference in the FPS can't reach more than 5-7 frames and this is weird.
i tried other game (saints row iv), and the gpu is not reaching more than 97%
could you please help me fix this?

Systems will vary a little bit based on subtle configuration changes (CPU, storage, and memory settings and software settings), driver versions, and games played.

That said,

The more powerful your GPU becomes, the more busy your CPU becomes. This is especially true at 1080 where the GPU isn't holding back the frame speed. Think about it. If you have a faster GPU, then the GPU comes back quicker to the CPU and goes, "I'm ready for a new frame" So if I ask you to get me a glass of water once a day, you aren't very busy. But if I'm super fast, and ask you get me a glass of water every second, you're going to be super busy. (It's a bit more complex than this, but you get the idea)

I'm sorry but an i3 today just isn't going to cut it as a gaming machine. (Especially with modern AAA titles like tomb raider) 10:1 you have a bottle neck here.

Last edited: