[SOLVED] CPU usage spikes after upgrading GPU

guackamolee

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Hello!

Today I decided to upgrade my nvidia geforce gtx 1060 3GB to a Msi Geforce rtx 3050. Everything went well untill i tried playing a game on my new gpu. I tought I would be able to have better settings now but I was lagging alot to I lowered the settings but was still lagging. I put on the lowest settings in fortnite but were still getting frame drops while looking around or walking.

I started to try and solve this by making sure i had the right drivers, that the old drivers were gonne, I tested MW2 benchmark and saw that i got a 20k ms latency on my gpu. I watched the task manager while starting games and now I know that my gpu is around 30% when playing but my CPU is maxing out, ex. fortnite now takes 90% of CPU usage. I dont know how or why. I have a Intel core i5-7400 and it shouldn't bottleneck that hard.

I have now tried clean wiping my c drive to make sure no old program is in the background, I have checked that my pc uses all cores, the cpu is running at the right speeds and I simply dont know what to do now, please help. Full setup and user benchmark here:

Motherboard: MSI B250M bazooka (MS-7a70)
CPU: Intel core i5-7400 3GHz
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3050 8gb
Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 3600 c17 2x8gb

Userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58126022

Solution
Solved it myself, it was a freaking bios update, tought I hade the latest but there was one newer. Installed it and all the framedrops where gone. Still cant take full use of the 3050 until i but a new processor but i can still play

guackamolee

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
ram not running at 3600
check cpu temp?
brand and model of the psu?

Forgot to enable XMP after wiping the C drive, now it is grayed out in bios, but I doubt that is the problem because I had in enabled before,

cpu temp is stable at 55C when at 100% load, frequency is not going down

I have a Corsair CX 750M, and yes the cables are connected properly

guackamolee

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Cranking up the graphics settings, puts more load on the GPU. Fortnite is pretty CPU heavy also. Low clock speeds, and only 4c/4t are doing you zero favors. Have you checked temps at all?

Well yeah I know games can be cpu heavy, its just that my cpu handled it fine before, and yes, I posted the temps here answering someone else. All cores are at a stable 55 celsius when at 100% load and the frequency is not dropping either

guackamolee

Commendable
Jan 20, 2021
Solved it myself, it was a freaking bios update, tought I hade the latest but there was one newer. Installed it and all the framedrops where gone. Still cant take full use of the 3050 until i but a new processor but i can still play

Solution

TRENDING THREADS