Question CPU usage spiking in games - 90% - 100% (game taking all the CPU resources in task manager) ?

Aug 17, 2022
Specs:
Rtx 3070 Aorus Master
Ryzen 5 5600x
16 gb ram - 2133 mhz (also tried xmp at 3200)
nvme ssd
gigabyte aorus b450
silverstone 750w gold

I recently posted a question on the forum (GPU usage fluctuation problem) but i thought the issue was my old R5 2600 which might be causing some bottleneck.
But today i received a new R5 5600x.. Now the GPU usage seem stable but it is the CPU usage that is now spiking.
Another issue is the GPU usage is below 75% sometimes in games at 2k resolution. Again i thought this was happening because of the 2600.. but still persists after upgrade(5600x).. Only 4k resolution pushing the card to 99% but problem is CPU usage also getting too high..
All these are leading to Fps drops and stutters when the CPU usage is getting too high..(happens at moments like if lots of things going on like if many NPC present or in a big town.. and also when fighting or if lots of particles present like blood etc.. )
The issue arises at particular scenes in games or sometimes just randomly..
One more thing i want to mention is that i am facing LOD issues as well(very poor draw)

I tested games like: Resident evil village, Monster hunter world, Red dead redemption 2, Dishonored 2, Dying light 2, Steel rising, resident evil 2

Cpu usage when idle is really low at below 10%
Only gaming pushing it to 90-100% and it is the game itself thats taking all the usage in task manager.

From my past forum post i tried lots of things like:
Tried xmp at 2800 and 3000mhz(also tried different sticks of Ram, optimized Nvidia control panel towards performance and then towards Quality, Fresh Install Windows, Reset Bios to default, Reseated GPU and Ram, changed DP cable, Run games at Max quality then Max performance then optimized(none worked), Bios and Chipset Updates.

Specs:
Rtx 3070 Aorus Master
Ryzen 5 5600x
16 gb ram - 2133 mhz (also tried xmp at 3200)
nvme ssd
gigabyte aorus b450
silverstone 750w gold

I recently posted a question on the forum (GPU usage fluctuation problem) but i thought the issue was my old R5 2600 which might be causing some bottleneck.
But today i received a new R5 5600x.. Now the GPU usage seem stable but it is the CPU usage that is now spiking.
Another issue is the GPU usage is below 75% sometimes in games at 2k resolution. Again i thought this was happening because of the 2600.. but still persists after upgrade(5600x).. Only 4k resolution pushing the card to 99% but problem is CPU usage also getting too high..
All these are leading to Fps drops and stutters when the CPU usage is getting too high..(happens at moments like if lots of things going on like if many NPC present or in a big town.. and also when fighting or if lots of particles present like blood etc.. )
The issue arises at particular scenes in games or sometimes just randomly..
One more thing i want to mention is that i am facing LOD issues as well(very poor draw)

I tested games like: Resident evil village, Monster hunter world, Red dead redemption 2, Dishonored 2, Dying light 2, Steel rising, resident evil 2

Cpu usage when idle is really low at below 10%
Only gaming pushing it to 90-100% and it is the game itself thats taking all the usage in task manager.

From my past forum post i tried lots of things like:
Tried xmp at 2800 and 3000mhz(also tried different sticks of Ram, optimized Nvidia control panel towards performance and then towards Quality, Fresh Install Windows, Reset Bios to default, Reseated GPU and Ram, changed DP cable, Run games at Max quality then Max performance then optimized(none worked), Bios and Chipset Updates.
You also need to check frequencies CPU is running at those peek usages, maybe it's not boosting properly,

Reactions: xpridex
Stuttering is a temporary lack of a critical resource.
Commonly cpu or graphics, but it can also be caused by lack of ram or a slow HDD.
If gpu usage were to be at 100%, that would not be good.
It would suggest that you were being limited by the GPU.

Run HWmonitor while gaming and look at the maximum cpu temperature.
If your cpu was heated past the cooling capability it would throttle, and the cpu would run at a slower clock which would increase the cpu utilization.
The throttle point for ryzen is 90c. I think it should show up in red on hwmonitor if it is occurring.

At idle, your minimum cpu temperatures should be about 10-15c. over ambient. Much more and you have a cooler issue.

Aug 17, 2022
You also need to check frequencies CPU is running at those peek usages, maybe it's not boosting properly,
thank you for responding and you might be right as my CPU is clocking at only 4.4ghz when the usage is high(80-100) and is at 4.65ghz when the usage is at what its supposed to be (30 - 50)

is there a fix to that? Was having that issue in my R5 2600 as my so i dont think its the hardware..

Aug 17, 2022
Stuttering is a temporary lack of a critical resource.
Commonly cpu or graphics, but it can also be caused by lack of ram or a slow HDD.
If gpu usage were to be at 100%, that would not be good.
It would suggest that you were being limited by the GPU.

Run HWmonitor while gaming and look at the maximum cpu temperature.
If your cpu was heated past the cooling capability it would throttle, and the cpu would run at a slower clock which would increase the cpu utilization.
The throttle point for ryzen is 90c. I think it should show up in red on hwmonitor if it is occurring.

At idle, your minimum cpu temperatures should be about 10-15c. over ambient. Much more and you have a cooler issue.
hello i do not experience any thermal throttling as Gpu is under 70c and Cpu 60 - 70c as well

and also i tried games in both my HDD and NVME

Boost performance depends on several factors.
One is a lightly loaded cpu.
Only one or two cores will get boosted.
Another is having cpu cpu temperatures well under control.
Temperatures seem to be ok.
You might check your motherboard bios level. Sometimes there are fixes relating to performance.

Aug 17, 2022
update:
Thank you for the reponses.

The Cpu usage seem to be rising when the cpu clock speed was decreasing(4.3 or 4.5 instead of 4.65)
I activated precision boost overdrive and the Clock speed was lock at 4650mhz..
which completely removed the High cpu usage issue staying at 30 - 50 cpu usage and 60 - 70 temps

So from this information, what is the actual problem and how to maintain the right boost clock and not get fluctuations?
should i keep using Precision boost overdrive or is there a work around for it?

update:
Thank you for the reponses.

The Cpu usage seem to be rising when the cpu clock speed was decreasing(4.3 or 4.5 instead of 4.65)
I activated precision boost overdrive and the Clock speed was lock at 4650mhz..
which completely removed the High cpu usage issue staying at 30 - 50 cpu usage and 60 - 70 temps

So from this information, what is the actual problem and how to maintain the right boost clock and not get fluctuations?
should i keep using Precision boost overdrive or is there a work around for it?
PBO raises power limits but they will not exceed those built in CPU by it's algorithm. Another consequence is prolonging peak boost but that''s measured in milliseconds so it''s not actually OC.

Aug 17, 2022
PBO raises power limits but they will not exceed those built in CPU by it's algorithm. Another consequence is prolonging peak boost but that''s measured in milliseconds so it''s not actually OC.
During PBO, at 4.7ghz it draws around 70w - 80w.. at 50c - 60c temps
but sometimes power spiking to 110w and then clock speed lowers to 4.3ghz , also raising temp to 70 - 75c

Why is that sudden power spike happening? Each time its happening, Clock speed decreasing and Temp rising.. All these lead to higher CPU usage (70 -80%) and fps drop .
and if i dont use PBO, the cpu will not even reach its max boost of 4.7ghz.. Taking into account CPU is cool at 4.7ghz at around 50temps(which i can see when using PBO). But unfortunately, things are fluctuating with PBO as well.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Not sure if its the same issue as yours, but I had an issue where some games would use 100% of my cpu usage when not needed. I went into the Windows advanced power settings and limited the max cpu usage to 99%. Afterwards, those same games never took more than 75% or 80% of usage. Could be some sort of bug, I never got to the bottom of it before I built a new pc.

Aug 17, 2022
Not sure if its the same issue as yours, but I had an issue where some games would use 100% of my cpu usage when not needed. I went into the Windows advanced power settings and limited the max cpu usage to 99%. Afterwards, those same games never took more than 75% or 80% of usage. Could be some sort of bug, I never got to the bottom of it before I built a new pc.
Thanks for the response, im gonna try that..

Aug 17, 2022
Update: weird one but Opening task manager seem to be fixing the issue.. each time my cpu speed dropping and Usage rising, i open Task manager in background and the speed gets back to normal as well as the usage.. maybe some kind of app does not want to be found in Task manager..(taking my cpu power when running).. but cannot find any malware ..