[SOLVED] CPU usage suddenly higher than GPU

May 31, 2020
I bought my pc last year April 2019. A month ago I upgraded my GPU from GTX1060 to RTX 2060 Super. I've always turned on my MSI afterburner to monitor my cpu gpu and everything is working fine.

Fyi, I frequently play Apex Legends, PUBG PC and PUBG Lite. Recently, at these 3 games I noticed my CPU usage is always higher than my GPU usage. For example, at Apex i always get 70-80% GPU and 85-90% CPU. While on PUBG PC, I will get 80-90% GPU and 85-95% CPU and sometimes 100%.

At first I thought this was maybe because of the ultra settings, but I tried in very low settings and still same results. I tried to play PUBG Mobile emulator with my friends, and I got 35-45% GPU while 60-70% CPU.

• I tried formatting my SSD and HDD and reinstall windows, problems still happens
  • I change to very low settings, problems still happens.

The point is, my CPU usage always higher than GPU usage since last week.

Do you know what could possibly be the issue?

My Pc :
i5 9400f
RTX 2060 SUPER
MSI H310M-PRO VDH
16GB 2666 mhz
600w +80 BRONZE PSU

Solution
You've changed things. With the windows/drive wipes, you neglected to mention if you then replaced the motherboard chipset drivers, which includes audio, Lan, pcie, USB etc which then relies on windows drivers (yeah, blah) which are not optimized for your board.

You also fail to mention if with the new windows, you went back into settings and removed Xbox DVR and the stupid game bar helper, which puts a load on the cpu.

Also didn't mention in NVCP, if you lowered the grass detail slider, which affects cpu load as the cpu has to then place more grass individually instead of in groupings, or if changing pre-rendered 3d frames from 3 to 1, as that affects cpu loads etc.

There's multiple things that could affect cpu usage loads out...
May 31, 2020
check cpu temp?
malware scan?

I just checked the temp is around 70-85 celcius for Apex and PUBG. Tried also for Pubgm Emulator temp is always below 60C but still usage for cpu always a lot higher than GPU.

For malware scan I did before reformatting my drives. After reinstall haven't done yet.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
If you're running higher settings, the bottleneck will be GPU-based. additionally, those three games happen to be relatively CPU-bound in my experience. I have similar results on Apex with a 1060 and a 2600, it's normal. If you're not noticing any lag or stutter it's a non-issue.

InvalidError

Titan
The point is, my CPU usage always higher than GPU usage since last week.
You upgraded the GPU and your new GPU is able to push new frames out faster than your CPU is able to set them up. Nothing unusual there, you simply shifted your dominant bottleneck from GPU to CPU with that GPU upgrade.

There always are bottlenecks, the real "no bottleneck" game is about moving them far enough that they don't bother you.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You've changed things. With the windows/drive wipes, you neglected to mention if you then replaced the motherboard chipset drivers, which includes audio, Lan, pcie, USB etc which then relies on windows drivers (yeah, blah) which are not optimized for your board.

You also fail to mention if with the new windows, you went back into settings and removed Xbox DVR and the stupid game bar helper, which puts a load on the cpu.

Also didn't mention in NVCP, if you lowered the grass detail slider, which affects cpu load as the cpu has to then place more grass individually instead of in groupings, or if changing pre-rendered 3d frames from 3 to 1, as that affects cpu loads etc.

There's multiple things that could affect cpu usage loads out of the blue, and most of them can be laid at the feet of a recent Windows update resetting defaults for its own purposes.

Solution