[SOLVED] CPU Utilization too High

gprioste8

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
Hi,

I've noticed that my CPU usage is extremely high while gaming (Overwatch, Fortnite). I idle somewhere around 10 - 15%, but when playing Overwatch the game reads about 60 % CPU utilization and when playing fortnite Utilization is around 80-90% , which is way higher than I think it should be?

Motherboard: ASUS Z390 Phantom SLI/AC
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 9600k - no oc
CPU FAN: Cryorig H7 Lumi
GPU: EVGA 2070 XC Gaming
RAM: 2 x 8GB G SKill 3200mhz DDR4

Fortnite: I run at all low settings, 1080p res, get around 220-240 FPS but I think I should be higher, around 300 -350.

Solution
Cpu sets the frames limit. Currently that's 220 frames per second. If you crank up the settings, that probably won't change much (if any).

Cpu pre-renders the frames according to the game code. That's all. The gpu finish renders whatever the cpu sends it according to detail settings and resolution. Changing details up or down doesn't affect the cpu really at all. What it does affect is the amount of work the gpu has to do to put that frame on screen.

So you should be getting somewhere around 220fps on ultra unless your gpu isn't strong enough to do so.

You are comparing apples to oranges. There's a considerable difference between an 8 core 9700k and a 6 core 9600k, especially if the game code can and does take advantage of more than...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed, but I feel like the high utilization is lowering my FPS?
Windows I got through Work, as I use my PC to WFH.
Any program you can recommend for malware scan?

No. Common misinterpretation. Usage is how much of the cpus resources the game code requires in order to pump out 100% of the frames every second.

Cpus run at 100% ability, no matter what they do. So when they pre-render a frame and usage is 60%, that means it's using a mixed amount of cores, threads, bandwidth etc which adds upto 60. If the game code is very cpu intensive, you might still see 60% usage, but the cpu can only pre-render 60 of those frames every second. Or you could have simpler code where the cpu is able to pre-render 150 frames, yet still only need 60%. Usage either higher or lower won't change the amount of fps until its overloaded past 100%

gprioste8

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
No. Common misinterpretation. Usage is how much of the cpus resources the game code requires in order to pump out 100% of the frames every second.

Cpus run at 100% ability, no matter what they do. So when they pre-render a frame and usage is 60%, that means it's using a mixed amount of cores, threads, bandwidth etc which adds upto 60. If the game code is very cpu intensive, you might still see 60% usage, but the cpu can only pre-render 60 of those frames every second. Or you could have simpler code where the cpu is able to pre-render 150 frames, yet still only need 60%. Usage either higher or lower won't change the amount of fps until its overloaded past 100%

If this is the case, then is my CPU bottlenecking my frames? I'm no expert, but I feel like a 2070 should be able to put out more than 220 FPS on all low settings for Fortnite not a very demanding game. I have a buddy that runs a 9700k with a 1070 and hes getting 300 FPS.

300FPS? Is there even a monitor out there that can run that fast? Would have to be 300Hz to utilize that...

Anyways, yes when you are going for frames that high, CPU will almost always be the weakest link due to the game engine. But pretty much only fighter Pilots have perception over 120Hz. But maybe you are juicing your eyeballs or something, either way you better quit it or you are going to burst a blood vessel either in your brain or your eyeball.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu sets the frames limit. Currently that's 220 frames per second. If you crank up the settings, that probably won't change much (if any).

Cpu pre-renders the frames according to the game code. That's all. The gpu finish renders whatever the cpu sends it according to detail settings and resolution. Changing details up or down doesn't affect the cpu really at all. What it does affect is the amount of work the gpu has to do to put that frame on screen.

So you should be getting somewhere around 220fps on ultra unless your gpu isn't strong enough to do so.

You are comparing apples to oranges. There's a considerable difference between an 8 core 9700k and a 6 core 9600k, especially if the game code can and does take advantage of more than 6 threads. More than likely his cpu having 8 thread capacity is dealing with a 8 thread game, and your 6 thread cpu is dealing with the same 8 thread game. That's going to lead to a little backlog. How much backlog will be determined by the game code requirements and your other services running in the background like AV and discord and YouTube etc.

If there's a bottleneck, it's the game code being badly optimized which doesn't allow for more effective use of 6 core cpus. I'm other games like CSGO, which doesn't come close to using 6 threads, you and your buddy would be about tied for fps, he might get an advantage from higher boost clocks

Solution