[SOLVED] CPU vs GPU in Video Editing

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
In terms of video editing, if I'm not as concerned about render times and moreso about smooth playback at 4k whilst editing, with absolutely no glitching or frames dropping etc, do I need to prioritise cpu, gpu or something else?
Thanks.

Solution
From what I understand, most recent NLE's accelerate the entire interface using the GPU. Yes, the video playback, on the fly rendering, effects and number of tracks do benefit as well.
But I'm talking about the actual interface of the software is accelerated using your GPU's horsepower. The most obvious example is FCP X, where it seems like all the buttons and the way the timeline behaves, stretching, zooming in and out are all rendered on your screen in 3D using your GPU.

As a matter of fact, even Microsoft Office is rendered in 3D and does use your GPU. Everything is animated now, which makes for a smoother user experience.

Check out this article regarding the benefits of a good GPU on DaVinci Resolve.

FYI, AVID has a free...

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
Traditionally the CPU does most of the heavy lifting. In recent years, the software has been able to relegate some processing tasks to the GPU, resulting in smoother playback, less dropped frames, more tracks and effects on the timeline.
What's your software of choice?
I've edited on Avid and Final Cut.

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
Traditionally the CPU does most of the heavy lifting. In recent years, the software has been able to relegate some processing tasks to the GPU, resulting in smoother playback, less dropped frames, more tracks and effects on the timeline.
What's your software of choice?
I've edited on Avid and Final Cut.

Interesting so video editing really isn't too gpu heavy at all so no need to overspend there? I use Davinci Resolve most recently, had used Premiere Pro but it's too expensive for the amount I use it. Resolve is a great free option for me.

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
From what I understand, most recent NLE's accelerate the entire interface using the GPU. Yes, the video playback, on the fly rendering, effects and number of tracks do benefit as well.
But I'm talking about the actual interface of the software is accelerated using your GPU's horsepower. The most obvious example is FCP X, where it seems like all the buttons and the way the timeline behaves, stretching, zooming in and out are all rendered on your screen in 3D using your GPU.

As a matter of fact, even Microsoft Office is rendered in 3D and does use your GPU. Everything is animated now, which makes for a smoother user experience.

Check out this article regarding the benefits of a good GPU on DaVinci Resolve.

FYI, AVID has a free version of their Media Composer, but is a bit limited of course.

Solution