cpu which one will work

jscottnjs

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hi everyone, I need some help, I currently have a ASUS M11AD Desktop running an i5-444os @ 2.8GHZ, 12GB ram and NVIDIA GT620. I know that it is not the best pc...far fromit. I fly fsx alot and the performance is very poor. I want to upgrade my cpu as fsx is a very cpu intensive program but im not sure what will go with this system i was thinking Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor. but will it work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Solution

Graphics card would be more beneficial, but you're not going to completely solve your problem by upgrading just one of them.
Your current CPU is socket 1150. The one you're looking at is 1155. It will not fit onto the board. Even if you buy a socket adapter (which make it very difficult to mount the cooler), the BIOS likely won't recognize the 1155 CPU and will fail to boot the system.

Try to stay within the current generation. Also, that desktop is not meant for overclocking so there's no need for an unlocked CPU (they're the ones with the K at the end). If you buy an unlocked CPU, you're just wasting money. Also, the CPU that's currently in the system is 65 watts. I'd try to get something that's no more than 85 watts as to not overload the motherboard VRMs and/or CPU cooler.

It's worse.

Intel CPU Lineup from highest to lowest (excluding Xeon because they're not meant for consumers):
1) Core i7 Extreme Edition
2) Core i7
3) Core i5
4) Core i3
5) Pentium, Celeron, etc.

Your performance in FSX is also being held back by your graphics card. Upgrading your CPU will not fully solve your problem.

I suggest you make a decision on whether you want to move to a newer platform (Skylake, Kaby Lake, Zen), or continue to put money into an older platform.