Question CPU with GPU Question - Need some good input on using an i3-10320 Processor with an NVIDIA GTX 1660 6 GB

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hello,

I have some choices to make. Below is my original order for a computer. I am considering an upgrade with the GPU because the CPU I want, an i5 processor, is not going to be available for awhile so I may put some money there and get an upgraded processor later.

I use my home computer for mostly work tasks and I will have 15 browser tabs open, multiple apps such as Word, Excel, Microsoft Paint, MP3 player open, all at once. My games are generally 2-5+ years old and I am fine not having the best most pristine and cutting edge graphics and am not concerned about shadows and lens flare, etc. but I can maybe get a nice GPU now and replace the processor later.

Are there any potential issues for me wanting to use my computer for the work tasks described above if I use the Rebuild with GPU Upgrade option below? If so, what are they? Overheating? Bottleneck during intense work tasks? Anything else?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Original
Processor: 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-10100 Processor (3.60 GHz, up to 4.30 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 6 MB Cache)
Form Factor: 300W 85% Power supply
Memory: 16 GB DDR4 2667MHz (2 x 8 GB)
Video Adapter: AMD Radeon™ RX550X 4GB

Rebuild with GPU Upgrade
Processor:
10th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-10320 Processor (3.80 GHz, up to 4.60 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 8 MB Cache)
Form Factor: 500W 92% Power supply
Memory: 16 GB DDR4 2667MHz (2 x 8 GB)
Video Adapter: NVIDIA® GTX 1660 6GB

Yes but I have to decide if this is a feasible upgrade to do. I can't really find an in between.
The CPU upgrade from an i3 to another i3 of the same generation is not worth the money.
What is the exact brand and model of your computer? We need to verify that a standard ATX power supply will work.
Instead of the GTX 1660, I would be looking at the RX 6600 or RTX 3050. They are all around the $300+ price point here in the US. (Are you in another country?)

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
The CPU upgrade from an i3 to another i3 of the same generation is not worth the money.
What is the exact brand and model of your computer? We need to verify that a standard ATX power supply will work.
Instead of the GTX 1660, I would be looking at the RX 6600 or RTX 3050. They are all around the $300+ price point here in the US. (Are you in another country?)

I have a friend giving me the upgrade for free.