[SOLVED] CPU with integrated graphics - Pair with graphics card?

Solution
It's really pretty game-dependent. Some games just will not run well on 4-core/4-thread processor systems (Games like BF5, I hear). Others will run just fine.

Just for reference:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.68 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $317.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 14:00 EST-0500

You're kind of in that No Man's Land where, ideally, you'd want to do all three upgrades. You can't just do the processor...

Wolfshadw

Titan
You can add a discrete graphics card to the computer (assuming it has the power supply for it) and you'll get some improvement. The two graphic solutions will not work in conjunction with each other, however. Something along the lines of a GTX 1650 or RX570 would be good options.

RAM can be a little tricky though. You can purchase the exact same RAM as he has now and it may not work with what's already installed. If you can purchase new RAM locally from a store with a good return policy, then you can try just getting another 8GB. Otherwise, I'd probably opt for a 16GB kit to replace what he has installed.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: lpseven965

lpseven965

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
Great thanks! I think it may be safe just getting a 16gb kit for ram, and will check out those two graphics cards. Will have to take a look at the power requirements, make sure his PSU and MB support it.

lpseven965

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016

lpseven965

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
Anyone? I asked a similar question for my other son's PC a year or so ago, and was told that it would be pointless to upgrade the graphics card without a faster/quadcore CPU. Could this be the same case? Or since it's already a quad core we should be in good shape?

Wolfshadw

Titan
It's really pretty game-dependent. Some games just will not run well on 4-core/4-thread processor systems (Games like BF5, I hear). Others will run just fine.

Just for reference:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.68 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 8 GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $317.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-11 14:00 EST-0500

You're kind of in that No Man's Land where, ideally, you'd want to do all three upgrades. You can't just do the processor upgrade because you also need graphics. I can't recommend just a graphics card upgrade because that's not going to help (much) if the processor is the main issue. And RAM is just so cheap these days. I paid $160 for the same brand/quantity/speed a year ago.

I know this could be a hefty price tag for Christmas, but if possible, this is what I'd do. Otherwise, at a minimum, I'd look at the processor upgrade and a cheap/used graphics card from e-bay/craigslist; something in the GT730 / RX560 range.

-Wolf sends

P.S. Sorry for the delay in responded. I was taking some time off from the forums.

Reactions: lpseven965
Solution

lpseven965

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
Thanks for your help! I think we'll go with the memory upgrade and graphics card for now. We may get lucky and this will bump his frames enough to suffice. However, if he still needs more then we'll look into the CPU. Thanks again.