Question CPU with integrated graphics versus CPU without ?

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I was looking to buy a CPU and was wondering if there where major differences between getting one with integrated graphics and one without. For example the Ryzen 5 5600 series with 'G" and "GT" suffix.
They are all very similar CPUs but one has integrated graphics and one doesn't.

I was thinking as a general rule since they are also similar in price that I would go with the CPU that has the integrated graphics so that if I ever had gpu issues my pc wouldn't become a useless box.

My logic being why not have the additional feature if I have run into some kind of GPU-related problems.

Are there any downsides to getting a CPU with integrated graphics compared to one without?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hey all!

I was looking to buy a CPU and was wondering if there where major differences between getting one with integrated graphics and one without. For example the Ryzen 5 5600 series with 'G" and "GT" suffix.
They are all very similar CPUs but one has integrated graphics and one doesn't.

I was thinking as a general rule since they are also similar in price that I would go with the CPU that has the integrated graphics so that if I ever had gpu issues my pc wouldn't become a useless box.

My logic being why not have the additional feature if I have run into some kind of GPU-related problems.

Are there any downsides to getting a CPU with integrated graphics compared to one without?

Thank you :)
I really depends on particular CPU and the way IGPU is included. In Ryzen 5000G series for instance IGPU is added to base processor and Intel CPUs mostly have it but in F models it's disconnected. MD 7000 and 9000 series also have IGPU but F models have it disconnect.
In any case, having IGPU some resources (PCIe lines and cache) have to be sacrificed for it's use, although minimal can affect CPU performance.
On the other hand, in IGPU cane be handy for troubleshooting, in case of dedicated GPU failure you still have some graphic capability or output(s) from MB can be used to ad more monitors without encumbering dedicated GPU.