[SOLVED] CPU-Z memory tab timings differ from SPD timings tables for both memory slots

Sep 30, 2020
I recently purchased a desktop from a student that was eager to sell as he was due to leave the UK the next day... I got the following setup for just £40:

Tower/Case: unknown brand (and very flimsy)
PSU: CIT M-500MB 500W micro ATX
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H81-M-S2H
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460
Graphics Card: ASUS Dual GeForce GTX-1060-O3G
Storage: SSD Crucial BX500 2.5" Internal Sata 3
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Kingston KHX1600C10D3/8G - 8GB DDR3
Kingston 99U5403-465.A00LF - 8GB DDR3
Also included 1080p ASUS screen and cooler master keyboard... not a bad deal in my opinion.

Anyways, moving on to the point of this post:

One of the RAM modules is PC3-10700 (667 MHz) and the other is PC3-12800J (800MHz) - I quoted from CPU-Z SPD tab.
I'm not concerned about the different frequency values, I'm aware that the system would default to the lower of the two (and it does - CPU-Z memory tab confirms it).
What I am concerned about are the latency timings...
Please can someone tell me if I am wrong in my understanding that the Memory tab timings should match the SPD tab timings for all slots used? - in other words, if I mixed two RAM modules with different latency spec's, the system should set the memory timings so that they match JEDECs for both modules.
Memory tab shows 9 - 9 - 9 - 25
SPD tab slot 1 shows 9 - 9 - 9 - 27 (closest match)
SPD tab slot 3 shows 9 - 9 - 9 - 24 (closest match)

Can anyone tell me if I should expect any performance / stability issues with this setup?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
in other words, if I mixed two RAM modules with different latency spec's, the system should set the memory timings so that they match JEDECs for both modules.

No, not necessarily.
That's why mixing/matching memory modules can be problematic on occassion.

If every system could 'force' JEDEC standard speeds/timings to something all kits of memory could run, then mixing & matching would never be a problem.

Can anyone tell me if I should expect any performance / stability issues with this setup?

Nobody can say definitively.
You can likely manually configure timings (to the loosest of the two) in the BIOS on a DIMM by DIMM basis.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
in other words, if I mixed two RAM modules with different latency spec's, the system should set the memory timings so that they match JEDECs for both modules.

No, not necessarily.

If every system could 'force' JEDEC standard speeds/timings to something all kits of memory could run, then mixing & matching would never be a problem.

You can likely manually configure timings (to the loosest of the two) in the BIOS on a DIMM by DIMM basis.

Solution
Sep 30, 2020
No, not necessarily.

Thanks for the swift reply!

I thought there was something "iffy" about this setup. I guess it's possible that I could encounter problems if I leave the values as they are...

I will have a look in the BIOS and see if there is something I can do to make the values suit both RAM modules. If not, I guess I'm probably best off replacing one of the two modules so that I can properly match the all spec's in this dual channel configuration.

Thanks again for your response.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I will have a look in the BIOS and see if there is something I can do to make the values suit both RAM modules. If not, I guess I'm probably best off replacing one of the two modules so that I can properly match the all spec's in this dual channel configuration.

You're probably best replacing both if you run into issues.
Even if you watch speed & primary timings, you typically can't do too much with secondary/tertiary timings, which could still present issues if they're not a matching retail kit.