[SOLVED] CPU-Z showing half Uncore Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2021
Hi Everyone

So strange thing I see and cant find someone with something similar.
I have the following RAM:
VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 Memory Kit - Black

I have XMP enabled on my Aorus B450 Pro.
In Windows 11 it shows 3600Mhz:

6gfrXWW.png

On CPU-z however it shows the following:
WQEOHuH.png

Under "Uncore Frequency" its showing half the DRAM Frequency.
I understadn the DRAM is correct cause its 2X for DDR but the Uncore frequency should be the same right?
Under SPD for each slot the values are the same.

On another post with someone with the same memory as i have their CPU-Z screenshot looks like this:
x6SAFNz.jpg

What could be causing this?

Solution
I have a Ryzen 7 3900X. no integrated graphics.
For context "Uncore" is an Intel only thing. So I don't know why CPU-z calls AMD's IF bus the "Uncore"

In any case, Windows is reporting the DDR rating. AMD's IF operates at the true frequency of memory, which should be half the DDR rating. If you have DDR4-3600, then the IF should be at 1800 MHz.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi Everyone

So strange thing I see and cant find someone with something similar.
I have the following RAM:
VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 Memory Kit - Black

I have XMP enabled on my Aorus B450 Pro.
In Windows 11 it shows 3600Mhz:

6gfrXWW.png

On CPU-z however it shows the following:
WQEOHuH.png

Under "Uncore Frequency" its showing half the DRAM Frequency.
I understadn the DRAM is correct cause its 2X for DDR but the Uncore frequency should be the same right?
Under SPD for each slot the values are the same.

On another post with someone with the same memory as i have their CPU-Z screenshot looks like this:
x6SAFNz.jpg

What could be causing this?
CPUz is reporting the same data. The clock speed is 1800Mhz, but DDR - double data rate RAM transfers data twice per clock so the effective transfer rate is 3600. Everything is working as it should.

Dec 8, 2021
CPUz is reporting the same data. The clock speed is 1800Mhz, but DDR - double data rate RAM transfers data twice per clock so the effective transfer rate is 3600. Everything is working as it should.
I hear you but why is the uncore frequency 1/4 of the actual frequency? it should be the same as the DRAM frequency.

Uncore is the parts of the processor that connect the CPU and iGPU to the other parts of the system. It runs independently of any other frequency in the processor and is not strictly tied to the memory clock frequency (unlike AMD's IF).

It's nothing to worry about and is merely coincidental it's half the DRAM speed.

Dec 8, 2021
Uncore is the parts of the processor that connect the CPU and iGPU to the other parts of the system. It runs independently of any other frequency in the processor and is not strictly tied to the memory clock frequency (unlike AMD's IF).

It's nothing to worry about and is merely coincidental it's half the DRAM speed.

For context "Uncore" is an Intel only thing. So I don't know why CPU-z calls AMD's IF bus the "Uncore"

In any case, Windows is reporting the DDR rating. AMD's IF operates at the true frequency of memory, which should be half the DDR rating. If you have DDR4-3600, then the IF should be at 1800 MHz.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.