Question CPU-Z shows half the CPU frequency

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Hi,
I have AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 Ghz CPU based PC with Windows 7 Sp1 installed on it. Board MSI B450M VDH, Corsair 2400 8 GB RAM
When I run CPU-Z to check the hardware details, it shows me that CPU is running at 1.5 GHz instead of 3.1 Ghz. The multiplier is being reported as half the original value.

No overclocking, BIOS is set to optimal defaults. The CPU frequency is 3.1 in BIOS. Settings not modified. There's no overheating issue too.
What could be the issue here?
Thanks

CPUz.png

Lutfij

Titan
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

To note, which version of the BIOS are you for your motherboard? I assume that screenshot is taken when you're idling? What does Ryzen Master show you?

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Finally I figured it out! It was the ‘AMD Cool N Quite’ switch in BIOS that was enabled by default. Since I chose optimal defaults, I had no idea that it was enabled.

I disabled it and CPU now runs at 3.1 Ghz. I enabled it and CPU runs at 1.5GHz again. So I am now sure that there’s nothing wrong with the system, it’s just the way AMD has designed this Cool N Quite technology. This PC is meant for general purpose computing, no CPU intensive apps are running.Thanks for your help.

That is normal operation. When cpu load is insignificant, cpu clock gets reduced to save power.
AMD has Cool and Quiet technology, Intel has Enchanced SpeedStep technology. They essentially do the same thing.

As suggested before - run something cpu intensive - any cpu benchmarks will do. And cpu frequency will rise.