[SOLVED] CPUID HWMonitor CPU core temperature vs CPU package temperature (50°C difference, 90°C idle temp)

Cosmin Ciulin

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Hello everyone, thank you for having a look at my issue.

I don't fully understand the difference between the core and package temperature difference. I tried looking online regarding this and could only find information saying that package temperature is the most important/ However, in my case the CPU core temperature is 50° difference higher than the CPU package temperature. Idling core temperatures is 99°C while package idle temp is 50°C. I'm not sure if this is normal at all but I can say it is really scary seeing these temperature.

This system has also been dealing with Blue Screen of Death which I am trying to fix. Somehow the death screen has gone, not sure if due to lower idle temps or due to updates and quick fixes.

CPU: AMD A8-5545M
Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group A68N-5545
Ram: 8192MB Ram (Not sure make or model)
SSD/HDD: WDC WD10EFRX-68FYTN0
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8510G
PSU: Silverstone TX300
Chassis is SilverStone Technology Ultra Compact Mini-ITX Computer Case with Mesh Front Panel Black (SST-SG13B-USA)
Ambient room temperature is 70 - 80F (21° - 26.6° C)

Image:
Second image (temps when system crashed):

I have attached an image.
Thanks.

EDIT: System is still unstable, just tried downloading a windows update and crashed. A second image has been attached showing CPU temps at crash

Last edited:
Solution
The AMD A8-5545M APU is not compatible with any third party software that read temps. You must use AMD Overdrive which is unfortunately no longer supported by AMD but can still be found to download upon a google search. Be aware though, that AMD Overdrive will NOT give you actual temps for your processor, but rather the thermal margin, which indicates how far from throttling temperature your APU is.

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Include the make and model of your chassis and state the airflow in your chassis. On that note, what are your ambient room air temps?

Cosmin Ciulin

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Include the make and model of your chassis and state the airflow in your chassis. On that note, what are your ambient room air temps?
I will ask the person in charge of the system regarding all other specs and attach them to the original post. Please bare with me.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
The AMD A8-5545M APU is not compatible with any third party software that read temps. You must use AMD Overdrive which is unfortunately no longer supported by AMD but can still be found to download upon a google search. Be aware though, that AMD Overdrive will NOT give you actual temps for your processor, but rather the thermal margin, which indicates how far from throttling temperature your APU is.

Solution

Cosmin Ciulin

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
Thank you but does anyone know why the core temperature is 50°C (122°F) higher than the package temperature? I know it is normal to be slightly higher, but doesn't right to be such a huge difference between the two. Is this normal?

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
As I mentioned in, and to rephrase, my previous reply, temps on that APU cannot be read properly by any software, including HW Monitor. The values that you get are rubbish and mean nothing, hence the discrepancies that you get between core and package temperature.
The only way to monitor temps on it is by using AMD's own Overdrive software. That software was designed mainly for overclocking, but it does also monitor temps. The only problem is, as mentioned earlier, is that even AMD Overdrive does NOT give ACTUAL temperature, but rather give the thermal margin to the max temp for that particular APU. Its contrived I know, but that's how AMD was working back then... there is just no way to measure the actual temperature of those APU...