Question Cracking noise coming from the inside of the laptop when watching videos and streams.

Olokun

Prominent
Feb 25, 2020
Hello everyone.

I have an Acer Aspire v17 792g, I've had it for a few years now. Some time ago, I discovered a problem. Sometimes when I'm watching a video, or especially any kind of a live stream, after some time, a very loud cracking noise starts to appear. The sound is very irregular, as in doesn't appear in regular intervals, it sounds like a bubble wrap popping, or like plastic snapping, at first just a pop per second or two, but gradually gets faster and eventually, it's a pop a few times per second. Interestingly, the temperatures seem alright, the fans were inspected and are clean and in good condition, the HDD and SSD scans show no errors either. Also curiously, I basically use my laptop in only two locations and the sound happens in one of them much more often than in another. Disabling the web browser stops the sound after a few seconds, turning the computer off stops it immediately. To be honest, it kind of sounds more "electric" than physical, resembling a crackling of a speaker, but it is not a speaker, as the sound doesn't come from it, nor am I using speakers, I use headphones. The sound seems to originate from around the are of the CD drive, happens regardless of whether there's a CD inside or not, or if the drive is open or closed. The sound also happens whether the laptop power supply is plugged in or runs on a battery. I have no other issues with the laptop, scans show no throttling of any kind.

Does anyone perhaps have any suggestions or ideas? I'd very much appreciate it.
As a side question, now that I'm reading this post back to myself, I think that someone's first, second and third idea might be that it's a faulty fan, especially the CPU fan since it's not far from where the sound seems to be coming from. Is there a way to test if this is really the fan? For example, somehow starting the fan without watching the video or forcing any kind of stress on the laptop, but without disassembling the laptop? Just starting the fan alone to see if it makes the noise? Although again, the fan was disassembled and inspected, not by me alone but by a guy who knows what he's doing, and it seemed alright. I don't know.

Anyway, thank you for your attention!

Reactions: H0PEFU11Y