[SOLVED] Crackling audio

christoph9

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
So I have an intermittent crackling through any device that seems to really show on quick changes from low to high volume in any content (youtube, gaming, netflix) and can't seem to figure out the cause. I used to think it was the optical cable to my soundbar but am now using a different soundbar with hdmi. Crackle also comes through tv and even headphones over bluetooth. The issue has persisted over multiple gpus as well. I assume it has to be motherboard or software such as drivers but I have tried everything google has recommended on that front.

Specs: asus z270a, rtx 3070 (previously 1070 and 1060), i5 7600k.

Update: Tried booting from my integrated and issue was still present. Starting to get frustrated, kind of assuming it's motherboard issue but its only about two years old.

Last edited:
Solution
For anyone curious this was "solved". Nvidia driver related troubleshooting went like this. Tried clean install of latest driver after using ddu to uninstall. Didn't work. Reverted to earliest drive available for 3070's. Didn't work. Updated to most current driver again. Worked.

christoph9

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
By any chance do you have a spare psu? My first thoughts would be a psu or motherboard fault assuming you are using the motherboard audio.
The video/audio signal are hdmi from gpu to tv, from my google searches it looks like this means the gpu not the motherboard is pushing the audio. I unfortunately don't have a spare psu available.

christoph9

Reputable
Jan 24, 2018
For anyone curious this was "solved". Nvidia driver related troubleshooting went like this. Tried clean install of latest driver after using ddu to uninstall. Didn't work. Reverted to earliest drive available for 3070's. Didn't work. Updated to most current driver again. Worked.

Solution