Question crackling sound in notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2020
i got a new asus strix g17, and i added 2 ssds ( adata sx8200pro ) and changed the original memory with 2 ram stick 16gb each, hyperx impact with xmp at 2933mhz, (does the xpm influence somehow, in bios i don't have any options regarded xmp) as far as i understeand the intel i7 10750h can't handle more than 2933 mhz, altough the original ram was at 3200 (samsung) . after i did this now i have a crackling sound , hard to explain the sound :), something like the old hdds sound when they work, and the sound is getting a little louder when i move the mouse, or scroll, even when i use the touch pad. The sound comes from the area where the heat pipes are, i disabled the speakers, then the fans, but still it has the sound, so is not from them. I tried with linux too , tought was a windows problem, but same thing. I tried putting back the original ram, removing the new ssd, nothing. the laptop works fine, no crashes , or anything to show any incompatibilities with the new hardware. As far as i undesteand from asus, and from the model website the max amount of ram is 32. Don't know why i use 32gb , is kinda an overkill but hey, why not :p . Any ideas ? ps : my english i kinda bad , so i hope you understand what i wrote , feel free to corect my english I don't mind :)

Lutfij

Titan
I think the crackling noise might be the power delivery on your motherboard(for the laptop). I could be wrong, if the noise is coming from the speakers then the issue can be with the drivers.

If the noise is coming from around the heatpipes, then I think it's a good idea to stop working on the laptop and disassemble the unit to locate the area of where the sound is coming from, it could be that a stray cable from the fan is causing the issue or the cooling fan is brushing up against the chassis.

^ Yes, too many speculations.

I also think you went overboard with the 32GB's of ram.

Dec 5, 2020
Since i unplugged the speakers , and then unplugged one by one the fans, and the sound is still there, and i unplugged the batery too, and when i plugged it back it made that sound, wright then. there are no wires around the pipes, if is possible i can send a pic to see how it looks

Dec 5, 2020
i just did a small test on the ssd , with the ssd toolbox from adata, and the whole time that the test was going, it had that constant sound, like it was a hdd working. after it stoped the sound was still there, but when is not doing anything it only sound interupted. another thing that a saw is that even when i type it sounds , at every touch of a key it makes the sound. if i keep a key pressed , the sound is continouns as long as the key is pressed
i made a small recordig with my phone, but don't know if i can post it here

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020
Hey , got the same problem, old hdd-like sound, but at very low volume. I have a Ideapad GAMING with the same cpu ( i7 10750h ) The sound only dissapears when i am running the laptop in balanced power mode and the cpu speed drops below 2 Ghz. In Best Performence mode the sound is almost always present , it dissapears only when i get the cpu at 100% ultilization, like when i render something.

Dec 5, 2020
I sended the laptop to asus, now i'm waiting to see what they say, they were hearing something too, and they ordered another mb to see if there is any difference

Dec 5, 2020
Is it possible that tha RAM could have made the mb to sound like that, becouse of the new ram that has xmp? in bios i don't have any option to enable xmp. i managed to figure out where the sound was comming from, so i sended the laptop. It was from the area where thea heatpipes were covering the procesor and videocard. and the ssd that i added is Adata SX8200 PRO 1TB M2 2280 PCIe Gen3 x4 . is it possible that the ssd is not combatible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.