Question Crashing green and blue screen

Colif

Win 11 Master
its been been off and on ever since i updated windows but i revresed the update and tried loads like command chdsk and sfc /scan now but nothings working
what did you update to? Green screens can mean insiders builds, did you try to install win 11?

reversed an update? sounds like a version update?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Colif

Win 11 Master
how did you try to install it? insiders or iso?

How far did the update get? how did you reverse it?

did it actually install 11 and you rolled back to win 10?

Did SFC fix anything? did it have any files it couldn't fix?

I will ask a friend to look at dump files

I am on 11 but I was told BSOD are now Black on it, I haven't had one and I didn't really want one to find out. Green - insiders so maybe they will be black once its released.

itzxethan13

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
i signed up for insider the install did not acctually get installed
i reversed it by deleting the window update
sfc did do something when it was really bad and it was crashing every 5 min

Colif

Win 11 Master
How did you delete it? Did you reset windows update so it lost record of current updates? Had you tried to run it at all? or decided against it before it did anything?

I have asked a friend to check the dumps but he is asleep right now.

it seems odd to me you get those 2 BSOD just from deleting an update.

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H1

if you on 21H1 and only change was that update you could try a repair install and it might fix it - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/ofLaje10/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:083021-69796-01.dmp (Aug 30 2021 - 09:12:03)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Ntfs.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: https://www.google.com/search?q=)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

File information:082821-8531-01.dmp (Aug 28 2021 - 17:37:51)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ?])
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

File information:082621-7625-01.dmp (Aug 26 2021 - 09:36:05)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

File information:082621-7265-01.dmp (Aug 26 2021 - 10:29:10)
Probably caused by:? (Process: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 48 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)

The following dump files were 0 bytes long which means they are invalid:
083021-8343-01.dmp
Comment: All dumps appear to be corrupted.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-UD-rev-10#kf
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version F8 and the latest is version F10k. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: itzxethan13

Colif

Win 11 Master
those crashes are different

This might be first time I can actually say ntoskrnl is to blame
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe

Let me explain, almost every BSOD out there will say the process that caused the crash is ntoskrnl but in almost every other case its the victim. But if I see that warning above the files named are generally the cause of BSOD and I never seen it actually blame ntoskrnl there before.

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications

Windows is really messed up after the flirt with win 11.

did you try the repair? if you didn't yet,

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into the window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

that command fixes the windows image files, that are used to install windows. Once its finished, re run sfc /scannow and restart PC.

If it asks for source, run this in command prompt (admin) (spacing is important or command fails)
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:C:\ESD\Windows\sources\install.esd:1 /LimitAccess

gardenman

Splendid
I would think these crashes are hardware related. That was my first thought due to the corruption in the dumps. Remove any overclocks. I would do lots of hardware testing, from memtest for RAM, Prime95 for the CPU, to hard drive testing. I would also consider partially taking the PC apart and reassembling it (to secure connections). Or at least, reseat each piece of hardware (All cables, CPU, RAM, and cards which includes the GPU). Be sure cooling is sufficient and the PSU is up to par.

Last edited:

itzxethan13

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
Okay so far I tried to reinstall windows and it went through everything then well loading back in says that window failed to update and reverted back I can't do anything because I can't even get onto windows and when I do its for like 5 min then green screen

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay so far I tried to reinstall windows and it went through everything then well loading back in says that window failed to update and reverted back

It shouldn't be trying to revert an update if you clean installed.

Have you cancelled your insider flight path?
I wonder if it reinstalled 11 again. If you haven't changed your flight plan, windows update may have just reinstalled 11 or tried to again
https://insider.windows.com/en-us/understand-flighting

I would cancel it if you can, I know how to it from inside windows but not sure if you can cancel from website

Do you have a win 10 installer?

Put USB in at startup
go into bios
go to save & exit screen
choose Boot Over ride
pick USB from list
PC should boot from USB
reinstall win 10**

** probably helps to not be connected to internet so that installer doesn't grab updates. and repeat this.

boot override might not be save & exit, I just thought it might be there based on my board

Colif

Win 11 Master
leans away from windows being cause

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

memtest is a link above, btw