Crashing issue: The most CONFUSING COMPUTER ISSUE EVER!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I myself have a 6800gt and have the same random crashes in BF2, but found that the patch can be a problem. However, the random crashes spread to other games and I found that the drivers for my card were changing the clock speed and actually cranked it up to 20% OC resulting in the system becomming unstable and thus crashing. The monitor would loose signal and the system would hang with the same repeting sound. Check your frequencies using riva tuner and see if they are changing incorrectly.

I just remembered I had an XFX 6800GT. The thing ran so hot. After seven months, my machine started crashing during game play. I did the same thing as this guy in suspecting the RAM, CPU, MB, etc., etc. It was the 6800GT causing all the crashes. RMA'd for refund from Newegg. My crashes ceased.

You never said you tried any other card except the BFG 6800Gt when the crashing occured. It was the 6800GT being used in any system that crashed, yours or your brothers. Granted, even with the replacement card. Don't know. I'd try a different card.

To be honest they probably got his card in the shop plugged it in to see if it worked for like 15 minutes on the windows desktop and stuffed it back in a different box and mailed it back (They may also have ran some sort of diagnostic software) Next time you RMA something it might be worth your time to use a marker on the hardware just to see if they sent you the same one back lol The sound card could be an issue but I think it would crash alot sooner then 10-30 minutes of game time... if it was the driver ? But its also worth a try as its something you could call and have your brother try over the phone.

that sounds like a real possibility, can you confirm you got a different card returned?